1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Potential stupid question......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by g-scapes, Sep 23, 2004.

1. g-scapes

g-scapes LawnSite Member

I just have a few mowing accounts right now, mostly just do landscaping, and all but one of them are rentals and the realtor doesn't care how trimmed or clean they are, just make sure the grass is short so he doesn't get cited by the city. The other is his house, but he pays me to bag his yard, so no real clippings left. I have seen threads bashing LCOs that blow their clippings into the street when done. What do you guys do with your clippings? Is this a blow in the grass thing if you can get the wind to cooperate? Sorry if this is a dumb question, just don't want to look like one of the scrubs when I get an account that really needs blown off afterwards.
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

just take your blower and blow the clippings back into the grass. Hopefully, your blower has enough power to overtake the breeze. ;)
  3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Actually it's think it's a very valid question, trying to preserve your professionalism.
    Where I used to work we had a Deere at one time that side discharged and we would mow our first couple of strips in from the edge and then turn th emower around and blow outwards if there were no cars, which was almost always becasue we started so early. then run over the clippings agian if we had to or rake 'em up when the grass was growing faster than we could get it all cut. Less blowing with Echo back packs. We had a street sweeper as well but by the time we got cutting done cars were starting to enter lots so it was too hard to maneuver around.
  4. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had windy days when I had to blow in the road cuz it just wouldnt blow back in the yard. I try to spread it out where its not noticable.
  5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I never blow into the street. Always back into the lawn (and only your customers lawn, never the neighbors!).

The only time I can see someone blowing into the street, is if they are working along side a busy road and it's too dangerous to stand out in the street blowing it back into the lawn. But then again, I would make several passes with the mower discharging INTO the lawn instead of the street in the first place. SO there wouldn't be much in the street anyway.

My neighbor recently bought an electric blower and she blows everything into the street. HOLY CRAP what a mess!!! Then it turns brown and she has dead grass laying there for days! Unreal!
  6. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

There is nothing more that I hate then driving by one of accounts and seeing the grass left in the street by one of my mowing crews. I make them go back and clean it up. I think it is very unprofessional looking to leave a mess in the street like that.
  7. a a green

a a green LawnSite Member

I always blow the clippings back into the grass, because it not only looks better, but it is illegal to discharge or blow any lawn debris in the street (Where I live and work). So yes it is best to fight the wind .
  8. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

I blow all the clipping back into the yard or get the old Billy goat if it is to windy. I have pick-up accounts because of the grass being blown out to the street. So your question is real and very valid. :cool2: