potted plants

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ken0564, Jun 4, 2006.

1. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

have some sago palms that need to be transplanted into larger containers. currently in 10" pot, going to a 24" pot. want to keep in pots so they can be placed inside during winter as well as client will be moving next spring.

question is....clay, ceramic, plastic, styrofoam type, fiberglass???? or does it make a difference what type?? thanks.

2. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

...or anyone else...any input??:dizzy:

3. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

You won't need to water as often if you go with a non-porous pot (glazed terra cotta would be ok because the glaze slows the evaporation). Also consider incorporating the appropriate amount of the polymer-based water saver pellets (they store water when the plant is watered and release it slowly as needed).

If weight is a factor (moving day leaps to mind) use a nursery 'can' - heavier weight blow-molded plastic with straight (or nearly straight) sides. Regular nursery pots have (sort of) corrugated sides to make the lighter weight plastic more stable. Be sure to get hand grips on 4 (not 2) sides as they are easier to shift and can be moved by machine if necessary.

Plastic and fiberglass are quite durable (plastic is usually considerably less expensive). Styrofoam is more problematical as it dings rather easily. Any of the 'pottery' types of pots will be REALLY expensive in that size.

If I were you, and esthetics are not in the equation, I'd go plastic.

4. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

...appreciate your input. Have read somewhere to stay away from plastic as it absorbs the heat then transfers that heat to the roots causing them to burn. I particularly wondered about fiberglass vs. styrofoam (Eurocast) type. Not worried about transporting next spring as I'll be the one to move it (lord willing).

Just want to do it right so i don't kill the thing in very near future. thanks again.

5. Kate Butler

Plastic pots can transfer heat, but up-potting from 10" to 24" will give a good soil buffer protecting new roots. Also, I had assumed that you would be mulching around them to moderate the interior temperature and lessen the potential heat stress.

If multiples aren't an issue the foam type insulate well, but are somewhat fragile. Fiberglass is more rugged - be sure and get UV-stabilized.

6. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

got it...knew you would have the answer. yep, i will be mulching. thanks again. ken.

7. Kate Butler

This is what the internet does best - puts people with questions together with people with answers. Gotta love it. Glad to've been of assistance.