Poulan 2000 Chainsaw wont start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jhelmick, Mar 21, 2007.

1. jhelmick

jhelmick LawnSite Member

I have pulled on this thing for the last time..........maybe. I have installed all new fuel lines, cleaned fuel filter, checked for gasket leaks at cylinder and carb., Spark is good...............So when I pull the rope I see some but very little fuel making its way up the fuel line, I have a idea I am losing my vacuum maybe at the crank shaft??? Is this a possibility? If so is it just seals or seals, and bushings or bearings?

Any help appreciated, Thanks in advance

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If you have gasket/seal leakage, those areas will be oily/dirty. Check for jug gasket leak.

Check the compression. Just a guess, but I'd think it should be at least 90psi and 120 would be good. This is a guess as I am not familiar with Poulan specs. If the compression is OK, pull the muffler and check for exhaust port or muffler blockage. I've not seen many 2 stroke units with leaking crank seals that doesn't also have piston/ring/jug issues from being straight gassed. While you have the muffler off you can check the condition of the jug.

You didn't mention if you rebuilt the carb.

Dutch

3. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

does your ignition switch work?

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would check your crank seals the clutch side will be most common to fail, sometimes I have seen debris from cutting get rapped up in the worm driver they use for the oiler.

5. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Did you clean the carb ? Could be there is a drop of water in it or maybe that little screen is coated or "varnished" over from sitting with fuel in it. Could also be the diaphram in carb. If you can shoot just a short burst of carb cleaner or penetrating oil in throat of carb and get her to fire then I would clean carb 1st then if no luck try a carb kit. Don't want to offend anyone just thought it could be something simpler than crank seals.

6. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Oh ! Welcome to LAWNSITE !!! :waving:

7. scottr 2006

scottr 2006 LawnSite Member
    from alabama

The Poulan 2000 uses crankcase pulses to pressurize the oil tank to oil the chain . About 10 drops of fuel mix down the carb should work to fire it up .

8. jhelmick

jhelmick LawnSite Member

Thank you all for help, Several things I know of are: I removed the carb and feel very little vacuum if any at the intake to the crankcase when I pull, also I do have fire at the plug with ignition switch on, Have not rebuilt carb yet....did not feel this was my current problem since there is no vacuum, pulled the plug and compression is good on the top end, I feel it almost has to be crank seals.

9. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

You are probably right, so many Poulan models so little time to remember which one has what:dizzy:

I was going by the oil pump kit #530-071259/530-069957
    states it fits models 1950 thru 2550 and 221,220,260 pro.

10. scottr 2006

scottr 2006 LawnSite Member
    from alabama

The 1800 and the 2000 are both horizontal cylinders that use the check valve that pressurizes the oil tank . The newer vertical cylinders engines use the oil pump . I forgot to mention that the original poster could get an idea of his compression by trying to hold the saw up by the starter rope . If it slowly winds down he should have enough compression to start his saw . Also check the carb gasket where the impulse hole is for the diaphram pump .