Poulan backpack blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by boozoo, Nov 17, 2000.

1. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

I saw some Poulan backpacks at Lowes the other day. They are reasonably priced, and a friend of mine thinks they use Kawasaki engines. Anybody know the skinny on them? Thanks

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't know a thing about them, but because they are sold at a homeowners retail outlet rather than a professional retail outlet makes me want to steer clear.

I bought my hedge trimmer at home depot but my first backpack blower (A HOMELITE, YEE CRIMINY!) I took back at the speed of sound!

stick with professional equipment. and that don't include poulan.

GEO

3. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

I know what you mean about both homeowners' retail outlets and Poulan products. However, as one example of an exception, Home Depot does carry Echo brands. If the Poulan BP blower is Kawasaki-powered, mightn't that be an exception, too?

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

boozoo--like I said, my echo hedge trimmer was purchased at home depot. shelf cost $379. my price $50. it was a well used return item.

about the poulan BP blower, it might be ok. but after I was silly enough to buy the homelite bp blower at home depot, I don't even trust myself! abstinance from the chain stores is the best policy if you need a professional piece of equipment.

would anyone care to go to lowes, try to find someone to help you, and get some data for us?

GEO

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I my opinion the ech equipment that Lowes sells is not commercial quality.

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

lawnworks, thats not true. They carry all available echo hedge trimmers, srm 2100 and srm 2400 weed wackers and they carry pb46 back pack blower. They dont carry the top of the line models like the pb60 back pack and pb210E handheld but the ones they do sell i beleave to be commerical quality, just not the most powerful models.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

CHECK SPECS ON LOWES EQUIPMENT SOMETIMES THEY ARE
    DIFFERENT THAN WHAT YOU WOULD GET FROM DEALER
    AND THEY WILL STILL CALL IT SAME MACHINE

8. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have always used Poulan back packs, model 442
    They are nice blowers, I have no complaints, they do have a kawasaki engine 40.2cc, 251 mph velocity, How much are they at Lowes?? I buy mine at my dealer, right now they are on sale for $299, regulary $350 or so.

SJR Lawncare

9. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, SJR. You've been using them for *years*? I never knew they existed until I saw them at Lowes (where they sell for $299, BTW). How do they hold up under daily commercial use? I do LOTS of leaf work Nov-Jan. Do they have a website? Is it hard to get parts (tubes, straps)? Thanks

10. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Boozoo, The Poulan bp blowers hold up very well,I also do alot of leaf work. The parts are easy for me to get, because my dealer stocks them, Although the only parts I ever need to buy are new filters after the old ones wear out. These blowers will last 2-3 seasons of heavy,heavy use
    SJR Lawncare