Poulan chansaws

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lot0210, Feb 20, 2008.

1. lot0210

lot0210 LawnSite Member

Are these good pieces of equipment for start up or should you goof for top quality Sthil or huskavarna for chainsaws and trimmers ect..

Just looking for info for a later date. when I start my own company. Looking also to learn from any past mistakes also but may start another thread on that thanks

2. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

i like huskavarna stuff myself. love the chainsaws
  3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

go with Sthil.:waving:
  4. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

You WILL kick yourself later for buying junk like that. Go with Husq.
  5. Dynamic

Dynamic LawnSite Member

I personally recommend Husky's. I was a logger years ago and we had both Stihl and Husky's and we didn't have to adjust carbs on Husky's they were more ballanced, air filters were easier to change/clean, better anti-vibe system and we never had a chain fly off with Husky but always with Stihls.
    Now from the lawn end of things all we use is Stihl's. Never tried Huskys for lawn equipment but I am sure it would be good as well.
    The moral of my story....DO NOT BUY JUNK(POULAN)
  6. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

My first was the Poulan Wild Thing... should be called the Poulan Sissy Saw... figured I'd only use it once or twice a year, so I went cheap.

big mistake. It's junk. $159- Chain constantly falls off... pulley rope pulled off at least a dozen times.... doesn't self lube like it's suppose too. Junk.
    Spend an extra $100 on something good to start off with....
  7. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I just had some work done to my husq chainsaw, and the guy working on it chuckled at the fact that I have a husq and not a stihl. Personally, I'll never buy any other chainsaw but stihl in the future.
    As far as weedeaters - all I run is stihl. I've been very happy with the stihl. I've also heard good things about Shindaiwa. I know some other guys who run Echo, and they're happy, but personally I don't think they're as good as the Stihl.
    I try to buy quality - I'd rather buy 1 $400 weedeater than 3 $150 weedeaters (because they keep breaking!)

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I did the Poulan thing and I think that I spent more in small repairs and time wasted than I did on the actual saw. I bought a Husqvarna saw in the fall and I love it.
  9. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

go with a stihl. I just bought a new stihl 170 for limb work really light and small bar. it was 189 I have a much larger husky for the big stuff both a good saws. but for most lco's who just do trimming work on trees. the 170 or 180 stihl is plenty small light with enough power. If you need a larger stihl look at a 240 I think these are closer to 350 dollars but the are good for firewood cutting and larger work.
  10. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

It realy depends on how much your going to use the saw I had a poulan when I first started out and it was a nice saw but I only used it a few times a year. I have a wood stove now so I do more clean ups for free wood for me so bought a mid line echo.