1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Poulan problems - Trimmer bogs out

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GAskidsteer, Oct 23, 2006.

1. GAskidsteer

GAskidsteer LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Poulan may be a dirty word around here ! Hoping for some help though. ( Yeah, I know, should have bought a Stihl!). Anyhow, bought this Poulan Pro last July, haven't run it a whole lot. No, I don't do lawn maintenance, it's just for personal use. So, the problem is this. Somewhat hard to start, as soon as you start into the grass, the engine dies. The only way to make it keep running is to switch the choke off and on. Cleaned air filter, mixed new fuel (40:1 and I am a stickler for an exact mixture), replaced plug --- nothing has changed. Could this be a clogged muffler ?? Or worse yet, a galled piston ? Curiously enough, my Poulan saw (also fairly new and very little use) started the same symptoms about the same time. That's why I immediately suspected the fuel mixture. Any ideas ?? Any and all help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would check for both, a clogged exhaust screen or muffler port on both of the units. Hope this helps:)

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

If both started about the same time I would suspect water in fuel.Once it gets to carb the only way to get it put is to disassemble and clean carb.When you take it apart watch for a tiny drop of water to roll out .