poulan saw oiler problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fishmon, Mar 6, 2008.

1. fishmon

fishmon LawnSite Member

Hello all. First post here. I have a 2300 cva recently returned from a long stay at my brother-in-law's. Saw wouldn't run. managed to get it running again (fuel hose was broken). installed a new foam air cleaner and replaced the spewing gas cap also. Problem now is no oil to the chain. Found the hose for the oiler isn't connected to anything up at the oiler hole next to the chain. I spoke with a mech. at a saw shop today and he said the case would have to be split in order to re-connect the tubing. I really like the saw but even the mech said it wouldn't be worth the labor of repairing. Does this sound correct? seems kinda strange the design doesn't provide any better way of connecting the tube without having to be so invasive with the engine. Info is rather hard to come by so far in my searches but i gather that oil reservoir is pressurized by the engine. If the case has to be opened, i suppose i'll be the one doing it. Does anyone know of any resources that may walk me through the job? must i start searching for a shop manual? or just go for it and carefully put everything back as it came apart? I'm a tinkerer by nature just never been into one of these things and hoping to avoid beginner pitfalls. Thanks for any words of wisdom and/or experience

2. johnp900

johnp900 LawnSite Member

Just get about 18" of tubing, bevel one end, and the insert it though the outlet hole at the bar. Pull it through & connect it at the pump body.Be sure to blow air through the body to clean out any debris. You may have to replace the check valve beneath the sprocket & clutch & the pump body filter. You are right, this is not a diificult job at all.

3. scottr 2006

scottr 2006 LawnSite Member
    from alabama

Fishmon, I have a Poulan 2000 that is the same saw with a smaller piston and cylinder. The oil line does not have a fitting on the outlet. Are you saying that the oil line is broken? Did you check the foam oil filter and line to see if it is clogged?

4. fishmon

fishmon LawnSite Member

got the firewood rack filled this evening. looks like i'll be checking into the oiling situation tomorrow. I'm still trying to understand exactly what is on the inside of the oil tank whether there is a nipple in there that the tubing connects to or what. when i pulled the cover to access the pickup/foam filter, the tubing wasn't attached to anything up where it delivers to the bar, so the filter/check valve assy dropped right out with tubing attached. ok doink, looks like from what you guys are posting, the tube itself passes through the oil tank casing. if that's correct, it wasn't obvious to me. if so, i suppose i was looking at the remains of a broken piece of tube at the outlet and incorrectly assuming it was a sort of tapping in the side of the tank that needed a tube connected to it. i'll pick at the thing in the am and see. the check valve will pass oil but its fairly well restricted...not sure how easy it should be to draw through. and yes i did clean the foam filter. goody this may be an easy fix after all. thanks all. will post back how it turned out

5. scottr 2006

scottr 2006 LawnSite Member
    from alabama

Fishmon, here is what the service manual says about replacing the oil discharge tube. Cut a piece of tubing 6" long with taper cut on one end. Feed a piece of wire through hole on bar pad and out through oil pump hole. Attach end of wire to tapered end of tubing then pull wire and tubing back through oil pump hole and out bar pad hole.

6. fishmon

fishmon LawnSite Member

ok the lil green machine is resurrected. looks like i really over-thought the replacement of the line. i had a nice taper cut on on the tube and was able to easily pull enough through to grab with some pliers and pull it on out. it wasn't near the nightmare i first thought. thanks for the help. sure am glad to have that peppy little thing going again. at first i had left it flush with the bar pad then realized the bar effectively stopped oil flow. after a bit of looking, i trimmed the upper side of the discharge flush with the small cavity or depression so the oil could load that space then seep into the hole in the bar then be pulled into the bar groove by the chain if i understand correctly. this whole endeavor has been quite a learning experience. thanks again