Poulan vs Poulan Pro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leeave96, Jan 9, 2008.

1. leeave96

leeave96 LawnSite Member

What is the difference between Poulan and Poulan Pro chainsaw equipment?

I have never owned a Poulan product, but I found a Poulan Pro pole pruner, model PP446T that is on close-out at a local store for about $179. It will see occasional use trimming back orchard and road side tree branches.

Soooo, do the "Pro" models offer something that makes them more desirable? Anyone used the above pruner?

Thanks!
    Bill

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

They put "PRO" after it to make Joe Homeowner feel like he is buying a good piece of equipment, when he is still buying junk. That being said.....I saw a Poulan pole saw at a Lowes on close-out for $99. I should have bought it. When it is that cheap, you can hardly go wrong. If it would last for one or two jobs, it would be worth it.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

A $179 pole pruner is, well, gonna cut like a $179 pole pruner. Why not go to your Echo dealer and get a real good one? I have a 260 something, it was over $500 new. I think it extends 14'. It is slick as ****, one problem, dont let people know you have it or people will constantly be lined up to borrow it...

I had a Poulan Pro 18" saw. It was JUNK. Didn't run worth a crap, and cut slow. Got a 310 Stihl this winter, the thing is AWESOME. Plenty of power, runs GREAT, and cuts much faster. I guess it's like they say, you get what you pay for.

4. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

"I had a Poulan Pro 18" saw. It was JUNK. Didn't run worth a crap, and cut slow. Got a 310 Stihl this winter, the thing is AWESOME. Plenty of power, runs GREAT, and cuts much faster. I guess it's like they say, you get what you pay for."

Same here exactly. Had the Poulan Pro 18'' but it wasnt getting the job done. I got a MS310 and love it, its a great saw. Gave the Poulan to a friend to use around his house for the occasional tree work.

As for the pole saw, I would stay away from it, its probably going to be a disapointment. For that price you're already spending almost half of what a good one would cost. I have the Stihl pole saw attachment for my kombi and it is excellent

5. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

They are both junk if you ask me. Not tough enough for commercial work.

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

The Poulan is a puke greenish color (or some other color), the PoulanPro one (historically) is yellowish.

7. TOOLSHACK

TOOLSHACK LawnSite Member

Poulan Pro is every bit a piece of junk that the "regular" Poulan is. More or less a marketing gimmick to make a weekend warrior think he's buying a commercial quality machine. A $100 dollar machine is gonna perform like a $100 dollar machine...poorly. The Echo PPT-260 (and new PPT-265) is a fantastic machine... there were some problems back in 2001 with the driveshafts, but Echo quickly addressed the issues and they perform very well now. I also need to mention that the Stihl HT75 Pruner is a comparable machine and performs well too. I have one of the Stihls in my rental fleet and it's held up well for the past 4 years... in rental. If you're not looking for a telescoping, long reach unit, then you have some other options. Tanaka make a great fixed shaft, short power pruner..as does Echo and Redmax. Also, a great alternative is to consider a commercial quality split shaft set-up. That way, you can have a good powerhead unit (23 cc or larger) and have the advantage of changing from a pruning attachment to an articulating hedge trimming attachment, or an edger, or cultivator...or any number of useful attachments.

8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I believe that the Poulan Pro chromes their cylinders for longer life but the same basic crap design as the regular Poulan.

Get a better unit, you may not need it a lot now but you may end up with more jns later because you have it. Then the $199 would be a waste. You never regret buying quality!