Poultry manure composte granuals

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by mtdman, Apr 26, 2005.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

In my search for alternatives to top dressing, and a source for some kind of pelletized compost, I have come across a supplier of granualized poultry manure compost. Any thoughts/info on this? I've never heard of it, although the supplier says it's good stuff.

Thanks

2. pema

pema LawnSite Member

I've been using a product from Ag-Renu. It is a combination of poultry manure and compost. Sterilized to eliminate weed seeds, etc. Makes an excellent top dressing following aeration and I use it for 1 round of treatments.

Had excellent results in hard clay soils in new sub divisions.

3. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Can you share your pricing for ag-renu?

4. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

"Great Stuff"- Perdue [ the chicken folks ] and tyson both now make chick doo [ poultry litter]avalible on the open market. Perdue to Ag/ Greens industry & Tyson has a retail line.....I got a trailer delivered to NY, 2 seasons ago, it came out to about $5 bucks a bag [ 50 lbs ]....No it wasnt all for me [ I did a co-op ] buy with a few guys in my area? :waving:

5. mtdman

I'm not sure if that's what this is, but it's along the same lines. And that's exactly what I'm interested in using it for. What kind of price do you pay for it, and what do you charge for the top dressing?

Thanks!

6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

MTD,

Is compost tea an option?

7. nocutting

Hi, regarding priceing, I like to double my materials and than charge for labour.I almost always charge a flat rate for all services so that i'm not obligated to being there any longer than needed.Once you figure your hourly rate $40-60 per man hr, add 10-20% for error, and if alot of materials are needed add a pick-up or delivery charge. You know those materials just dont show up on there own to the job. :)

8. mtdman

I haven't really looked into it. I was looking for spreadable materials.

nocutting, this stuff is about $10 for a 50lb bag and it's supposed to cover 5000 sq ft. Just wondering if that was competitive. Even if I do double up and put the stuff on thick, that's $20 for materials, and what, maybe a half hour to spread, if that? My cost $40, I can charge at least $80 to double up.

Is there any dangers of using this stuff, anyone know? I assume nothing more than using cow manure.

9. googleplex

googleplex LawnSite Member

That sounds like an application rate for fertilizer.
    I try to top-dress at 1 cubic yard per 1000 sq.ft. That's about 1/3 " 10 pounds per 1000 sq.ft. isn't much of a top-dressing.

10. nocutting

Hi, $10.00 a bag is a good price [ my Lesco sells "sustain" for $20] use it at the fert. application rate or alittle higher if you want? Think of it like a pellitized peat moss, but with a slow release N-P-K. As with any fertilizer, dont apply more than 1 lb of N,[ all fertilizer can have a burn potential]...I use this all the time when I slit seed....Food for thought,.....Dont look at the priceing compared to any mowing practices [ It kills me to see how little you guys make on those services, considering all the equipment you need to get that job done]....For a nice job like that I'd hope to be gettin up to $125, with this you're being paid for your expertise as well. "Good Luck" payup