Powder coating vs repainting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by whiteclifflawn, May 1, 2005.

1. whiteclifflawn

whiteclifflawn LawnSite Member

I like to keep my mowers looking as good as I can, within being reasonable. But I always have just repainted scratches and such about 1-2 time a year, but I am just repainting the over old scratches. I was wanting to know how much is power coating, where can you have it around south east TN, and is it realy worth it or just buy replacement parts and come out ahead.

2. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

My experience with powder coating would suggest that it is not worth it. The part in question would have to be removed and cleaned thoroughly before coating it. The powder coating is sprayed on to the piece, and then has to be baked on in an oven. It would be a major undertaking and the price would be unreasonable. I would use an OEM paint or industrial enamel paint. They wear well and are much easier to deal with.

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Too little time, Too much Money. No way . Your equiptment is to be used not looking like it got off a show room floor. I touch up with an enamel paint as to prevent rust. My mowers get used not abused but they are built to make money not look good.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, sometimes the powdet coating is baked on, sometimes, it isn't. What actual powder coating is, is when it is painted, an electrical charge is run through the part, creating the ions to draw the paint in. (sort of like static electricity). If you don't have a facility or machine to do this, there is no reason to consider it unless you were going to have it sent out to be done. Not feasible.

5. KillaWhale

KillaWhale LawnSite Member

I use to work for PPG and with powder coating, you get more durability and finish than with enamel spray paint. We made powder coating that was scratch resistant. You could literally hit it with a hammer and it would not scratch or crack. I plain to clean coat with powder coating on the underside of the deck on my new mowers. It should make it easier to clean off. Eastwood company makes a home kit to some stuff with. Need an old stove to bake it in. Runner, all of our paints required a baking process.

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah...Right! I'll just go ask the little missus if she minds if I cram my 52" Deck into the old oven for a few hours. LOL