1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Power Bed Edger Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PheniXLCC, Mar 6, 2006.

1. PheniXLCC

PheniXLCC LawnSite Member

This year I am going to be renting a bed edger instead of using a spade to edge. My main concern is this: Am I going to have problems with possibly cutting any electrical, cable, and irrigation lines? Most of my clients have sprinkler systems and landscape lighting.

If so is there a solution to this? How do you know where the lines are hidden?
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I've only cut phone lines with a bed edger. They were way too shallow. Whenever I do any digging, I call ULOCO or the utilities companies to just cover my bases.:)

LANDSCAPER30 LawnSite Member
    from IN

Either you or the homeowner need to have a locate done. Here, they are free. Usually, the only two lines you have to watch for or the phone and cable lines. Water, electric and gas are always deep. When you come to a sprinkler head, dig around it and see which way the line is coming from. Hope this helps:usflag:
  4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never used a bed edger and have a question myself. How deep will these cut? And I presume that the depth is adjustable, right?

Since it is commonplace to have sprinkler heads along the edge of turf, those would be obvious objects that would need to be flagged. If you consider edging next to 4" pop ups, then the line at the base will obviously be that far down from the top of the head. But will the bed edger cut four inches deep? Problem is when for some reason the flex line, or pvc, runs up just under the surface someplace away from the heads.
  5. PheniXLCC

PheniXLCC LawnSite Member

Would I have to call both the cable company and the utility/phone company?

JSMLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I cut atleast 2 cable lines a year. I ask about cable lines at all new mulch jobs. They tell me where they think it is and it never fails... I still hit them. The bed edger still saves so many man hours. It's worth it.
  7. mdmowerman

mdmowerman LawnSite Member
    from 20833

ive had a bed edger for a few years now, and on bigger jobs, even if u have to splice a tv line on each job, i think its still worth it. granted you can do a splice in 10 min or so.

ive never cut a phone line so i cant say much on that.

i ALWAYS tell the customer if i hit anything, tell them how much it cost for the cable company to come out and fix it, and say ill put a splice in it and if theres a problem, worry about it then, never a problem 2 years later..... everytime i use it on a new job i always tell the customer that it could happen.
  8. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

Use the bed edger on LARGE jobs only... Use you spade on med to small residential homes it will save you time and aggravation..