power broom in snow

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by sparcolawn, Jan 1, 2006.

1. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

does anyone use they're power broom in the snow? i tried it today and it didnt work to bad... im looked for a snow blower attachment for my split shaft echo but they dont make one... has anyone ever seen, used, or has a snow blower like this? thanks

2. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I've had my PowerBroom since 1999 and use it quite often for snow. It can work quite well on sidewalks and smaller areas up to a couple inches of snow. It works better in dry or fresh snow.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

How does it work in slush:waving:

4. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

John,

In slush you had better have tall boots--you get backsplash. It does well if the slush isn't too deep or you don't have to move it too far. Sometimes it works well to use about half the width of the PowerBroom, go backward in a pass (throwing some forward) and then clean pushing forward in the same area.

5. John Gamba

from ct

6. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

so has no one seen those snow blowers i mentioned earlier?

7. John Gamba

from ct

Toro had something like you are looking for but it wasn't on a power stick it was on a power shovel. Home owner junk.

John

8. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Not certain exactly what you have in mind when you are asking about a snowblower equipped with a broom, but I had a gravely power head that would swap out a blower, blade and broom, which we used the powered broom with. Exmark/Toro also has a system for these large, powered attachments manufactured by RAD, that fits the Zs. On the Gravely, the broom was a 48" and would do fine with small amounts of snow (3" or less) and slush (an inch or less) plugging up with anything more. It did a nice job of cleaning right down to the surface, especially on textured cement material, but was so slow at clearing large areas that a blade followed with de-icer was much more efficient and time saving. The gravely was a throw away and I was curious at how it would perform with the broom, but every purchase of the RAD systems later, included only the hitch, blade and blowers, so I'll let you decide at how much of a value we found it to be.

9. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

:waving:
    i called Echo and spoke with their "Research and Development Team" about 2 years ago and asked about a power shovel, the same type of thing Toro makes and they did not seem to interisted in the idea. I happen to think it would be great. :waving:

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I tried using a power broom about 3 years ago. Seemed more like back breaking work compared to using a shovel