Power Broom...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowbizz, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking of buying a broom/sweeper attachment for my Stihl Kombi head. Can anyone tell me which is better for sweeping sand off of grass (street edges)...the rubber paddles or the bristle brushes (or neither)???? I may give an estimate for sand cleanup and have never done it before and was wondering if these units would hurt the turf any...thanks for your input!

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I see guys here that mow the highway using the one with bristles.
  3. threeleafllc

threeleafllc LawnSite Member

we use bolth.. and the guys tell me the rubber paddles work better on the grass were sand has been pushed up..i wouldnt wana do a whole lawn that way.. they get very hard to use after a while..
  4. Mowbizz

Thanks...it seems even though there are differing opinions as to which works better on grass, the rubber paddles are favored (after searching the subject).

I guess the paddles have it!

Now to buy one and go make my $$ back on the first job!:drinkup:

Side note: Is there ever a time in this occupation where you don't have to keep spending $$$ on new stuff each season???
  5. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

We have the rubber paddles. We use it to push around old mulch after we use the pitchfork on the old piles. Works pretty good if you take a moderate amount each time.

With sand removal, you might try using the rubber paddles then use a BP blower to finish.
  6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We have the rubber paddles for our Sthil power head. It works great on lawns with hardly, if any damage at all. I will say they get very heavy after a while. We also use it for curb cleaning at some of our lots, it seems to keep the debris a little more under control vs. a big blower. All in all a good investment imo.
  7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I have the shindy power broom with the paddles. Paddles are the way to go.
  8. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

We use the rubber paddles on our stihl. Gets heavy after awhile.
  9. Mowbizz

I got a quote for a package that includes the whole unit (bristle brushes) and just the paddle unit with drums that can be swapped out by pulling a cotter pin...$434 + tax
    They do not discount these things at all! I'm going to try a couple different dealers as there are many Stihl dealers around here...damn...when do I get to stop spending $$$$!!
  10. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

Does that include a power head? or just the attachments?