1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Power Brooming lawns...what to charge ?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by iweed, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

2. ernieknows

ernieknows LawnSite Member

Backpack takes twice as long and creates a dust storm.
    Neighbors don't like dust.

This was sand on city property in front of house.
    City cleans the streets every spring and fall.

3. iweed

iweed LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Great pictures.....thanks for showing them. Do you charge by the hour? Why I am asking is we usually only do the areas like you have shown as part of a spring cleanup. One of our customers wants the entire lawn done and he has 3 sites. I have never priced this out before. Thanks in advance.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I think you should charge a dollar for the whole job that should cover all your labor, fuel, ins, and overhead and deprecated tools...
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ernieknows

ernieknows LawnSite Member

The property owner needs to trust your expertise.

Power brooming removes the crap from the surface of the grass.
    Called brooming, it is done with rubber paddles.

Using bristles is fine on hard pavement surfaces, but would damage the grass.

I work at about 20 minutes for the first 500 sq ft. It is actually work because
    I have to push the unit forward while it pushes backwards to clean. I follow with a quick blow to fluff up the grass.

The property owner is suggesting Power brooming which removes the crap from the surface of the grass. If you, the expect, think that the lawn needs the dead debris needs to be removed from below the grass surface tell him what he NEEDS done and HOW it should be done. If he does not want to to it properly tell him he will see poor results from not following his Lawn Expert. Be nice, Be professional, Be firm.

6. iweed

iweed LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Thank you for sharing your comments and advice.

7. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive seen these for sale at my STIHL deal, always thought "what the hell is that for?"

I have a hard time understanding why a JRCO tine rake + bagger wouldn't be used on this instead? much faster and fluffs up the lawn at the same time.

What Im getting at is when would this be appropriate in a substitution for a power rake?

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

A power rake won't get sand and rock salt out of the turf. My dad used to make hand broom the street edge of our yard after a NY winter. Really helped bring back the turf. I would use a power rake on the turf itself though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

A jrco rake and power rake should not mentioned in the same sentence.......
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

wow never actually looked at what power rakes are. I had always thought a dethatcher as more of a slitseeder without the seed.