Power buggy/wheelbarrow

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by General Landscaping, Apr 3, 2007.

1. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm building a power wheelbarrow and want some input from those who use them.
    Mine will be using a hydro transaxle from a lawn tractor and be built for about 500# load.

I'm going back and forth between a stand on or walk behind.
    Walk behind will take up less trailer space; stand on will still go top speed at the end of the day.:walking:

Is anybody using a stand on and have issues with the maneuverability? I'm thinking the walk behind will have the maneuvering advantage.

Anybody have some other words of wisdom for a power buggy construction project?

2. Airwave

Airwave LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

Hi there I am based in Ireland and we have two muck trucks powered by Honda engines. I cant see us doing any work without them so far they have been great but some of the pressure points especially where the tipping point is has had to be rewelded several times so I would certainly ensure you use the best quality and tough materials in construction. Ours are walk behind and extremely manouverable although I would like to have had slightly wider tires as they would not mark the lawns and ground as much when we are installling lawns. Ours also has 4 gears and reverse I would have to say 2 forward one reverse would be sufficient 1 for normal fast speed one for climbing steep hills and of course reverse. The less complicated is better and the less likely it will break. I hope this is of some use to you.

Darren

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

There was a thread on here a while back about some who took a Toro WB and made into a powered cart. Uses a Sulkey on it.

4. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

I understand what your trying to do. And I understand the "concrete buggies" are very expensive. However I believe the "DR" people make one that is reasonable, don't know how well it would hold up. try www.drpower.com, they start at $ 1400.00 up to $ 2300.00. By the time your done I bet you will have that into yours.

5. LindblomRJ

With old parts that are still in usable condition. Might be able put somthing together for less than $1000. Provided you are good at scrounging and welder.

6. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

i have been dreaming of building a buggy for a long time, just have not had the shop space to tackle a project like that. this winter i will and would like to do something. what if you made the stand on a ride on be able to flip up so that you would have more room on the trailer?

7. LindblomRJ

8. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

9. LindblomRJ

Bigred I would love to have something like that. Or a Toro Dingo would work too.

10. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

So far I'm about $5 into it and have a E/S engine, hydro transaxle, more than enough idlers, linkage, & brackets, steering parts & axle, 4 good tires (2 little, 2 big), frame (already drilled and shaped for engine & trans), wiring harness, dump hardware(old deck lift parts), and other goodies I havn't scrounged yet.

Looks like I'm out a tub, belt, battery, paint, and a few trips to the metal rack.

($5 was for carb parts)

DR can kiss my ass for $2K.
    My project is going to be in the same general type as the DR.

McKeeLand: Good thought on the stand on end idea. I'll have to orient the engine correctly,think about how to make the fuel tank not leak, and use a gel battery. That should free up some space.:clapping:

Is it preferred to have the dump pivot at the load balance point? (locking mechanism will be built into dump handle)

Sounds like there is interest in this type project. I'll take some pics as progress is made...... Gotta do my taxes first:angry: :angry: :angry: I'll be working on the power buggy or fleeing the country by 4/16

Next project after this..... bed edger..... I just can't see forking out that kind of $$$$ for a very simple machine. I'll have to build it to accept cutters from a popular brand. I'm not really knowledgeable on attaching carbide tips to steel.