Power Buggy???

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by laxnlawn, May 7, 2013.

1. laxnlawn

laxnlawn LawnSite Member

I have 25 Yards of brown mulch to move over a big property (beds spread over 2.5 acres) and have one day. I was thinking of renting this and using one guy to spread. It holds almost 3 normal wheelbarrows and goes much faster, and does not break the back... Beds do not need edging so that will not be a problem in terms of messing up the edge, and ground will be pretty hard and flat
    http://www.thepowerbuggy.com/
    I can get it for $200 all in for the day... Anyone ever rented one? Opinions?

2. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

I rented one once. It did a good job. Easy to operate & dump. $200 per day rental is to high. Check with other rental biz & see if you can rent one cheaper.

3. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go for a small tractor with turf tires.

4. QLM

QLM LawnSite Senior Member

That is a ton in rental here in new oleans you can get a small bobcat mt52 for 50 less a day.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

You have equip on site to load it? Or straight out of the truck?

6. laxnlawn

laxnlawn LawnSite Member

Yeah the way I have to rent it is a weekend long rental but it is considered a day. I shopped around and no one within 30 mins of me stocks them except 1 place close to my house. And its 25 yds so I need a triaxle, so I'm just having it delivered onto the driveway for the extra $2 a yard.
    About the BobCat mini skids- I looked into them and they rent for too high around here, plus the trailer can only take 2000 so i'm cutting it close with weight and all. Also, I do not want to run the risk of tearing up a yard/ bed with a dingo..
    Anyway.. If I run 1 guy with a pitchfork spreading and me loading and hauling on the power buggy, any estimates on yards per hour?

7. jdo150

jdo150 LawnSite Member

It depends on the beds and how full they are with plants. I use a tractor with a 3/4 yard bucket and can do up to 60 a day with 2 guys if the distance is short and the beds are open if I have to spread in tight areas its more like 40 a day. I would look into a tractor because it loads itself which saves time and can reach over bushes and such I think that buggy will be a pain in tight areas.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. stansoph

stansoph LawnSite Member

You can get more work out of hiring somebody for $200 per day. One guy could shovel and the other two can wheelbarrow. Then all these can spread. Once you get done moving material you have an idle piece of rental equip. The extra man is only idle of you allow it
    ��
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. we rented one this year we was putting pea gravel in a courtyard in a school and to run down a hallway, they work great.

10. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

A few thoughts here , 2.5 acres isnt that big and 25 yards isnt that much. For 200 you could have a few guys running wheel barrows.