Power Chute VS Grass Flap

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtmower, May 31, 2012.

1. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

Need a chute blocker for my new Gravely 460 and would like something foot operated or at least one where I can keep both hands on the sticks at all times.
    Both open straight up all the way so nothing sticks out further than the deck the way it looks. The Power Chute I believe can be stopped at different positions and has air holes in it but costs more. The Grass Flap maybe cheaper/easier to repair later, no air holes, and is either open or closed which is probably how I would use it 97% of the time anyway.

Grass Flap $240.00 include shipping

http://grassflap.com/

Power Chute $329.00 Plus S&H

http://powerchutedesign.com/

Anyone have any experience with both or know of another brand I may not be aware of?

2. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Power Chute IMO. I have 2 of them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

Neither of them lista model for Gravely

4. mtmower

Yea I know. I called them both and PC has a few on the shelf. Said he stop production on them due low volume.

GF said he has one that should work and would verify shortly. He sent this video and said it would the same or very similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcHxoMAtky4&feature=youtu.be

5. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

What holds the Grassflap shut?

6. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We have 2 quick chutes. Power chute looks like it would work well, we thought about getting them. Never heard of the other one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two Power Chute Designs, highly recommend them- Well worth the money. With a little fabrication they an be modified to fit your machine, we run Toro chutes on our Dixie Choppers.

8. mtmower

I guess it depends on which style fits your deck. On their web they show an Exmark with what looks like a long spring that is compressed. On the video he sent of the Scag and Kubota it has a small pneumatic shock. But in a couple of the videos I watched showing the Exmark in action they said that the flap would eventually give if the deck got too full keeping the mower from bogging down. In the video they don't keep them down long enough to really show you.

9. dutchacres

dutchacres LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Quikchute for my Kubota and love it. I can close it down with one hand while still operating the sticks. If you have run a ztr for very long you get pretty good at running them with one hand. I like that it is a simple design with nothing to really go wrong. They are great people to work with. I ordered mine on a Monday afternoon and I had it on my door step Wednesday afternoon.

10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Except for all the "bits", the Grassflap looks ok to me but I dont know how it would hold up long term.
    The Powerchute had issues with the motor failing some time ago. I wonder if theres been any changes?

Mate, for probably less than $20 you could make up your own blocker. May not be foot activated but still, if you make it yourself out of readily available (less moving) parts, IMO its the way to go!

Whats going on with the guillotine blocker all ready on the deck?