Power coming back on common

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by earthmgtsolutions, Aug 26, 2011.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Well by Jesus that there is the rootin'est tootin'est troubleshootin flow chart I've ever seen by golly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

there's always this diagram....

circuit_diagram.jpg

3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Is that a flux capacitor I see?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Wet_Boots

I include that diagram with every controller I install

5. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

The common isn't 'bleeding back' like you think it is

you really need to ohm out your valves from the controller

What is it like 75% of electrical diagnosing is done from the controller. At least it tells you what needs to be done next

6. It skipped the blinker fluid cap is loose.

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

you really haven't given enough of the right information to allow anyone to help you, voltage measurements aren't enough. as mentioned, you need to isolate and "pair" each common wire with the valve wires that they service. while you are doing that, document the resistance measurements for each zone. the probability of zones 1-2-3-4-5-7-7-8-9-11-13-14 being on the same common is high but not absolute until verified.

you need to do some more work before anyone here can be of help

you still haven't supplied enough information

??????????????

you seem to be locked onto a bad solenoid train of thought "How can I locate which solenoid is bad without checking all 11 that are not working??" so you already have eliminated other paths and tunneled your vision. no wonder your noggin hurts.

start fresh, bring all of the measurements of the wiring and solenoids to the table, check your voltages in parallel and "under load" for accuracy, current is measured in amps or milliamps and in series. resistance is measured in ohms and megohms for the best results. try a short to earth test of each zone wire and their common for insulation from the earth.

in order to receive any help here you are going to have to do your homework.

BTW: i have found that you can tell if you have a bad splice in a water filled box by simply turning the zone on and sticking your hand in the water

8. Wet_Boots

or stand by the water-filled box in your bare feet and take a wizz into the box :eek:

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I'm missing something, as per me. Has the OP proved the clock yet? :dizzy:

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i don't think the op is a shooter, when he gets to 10 posts he can pm me for a guide to his troubleshooting issues though. i spent an hour typing up some suggestions last evening. :waving: