1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Power Company wants to charge Sod Producer

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by AUHort1990, Sep 10, 2007.

1. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

This was in an email newsletter I get from the Alabama Turgrass Association.

This is crazy...I hope they don't get away with it.
  2. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the guy that built and used his own engine that runs on used vegetable oil. When the government found out, they fined him for all the back taxes he would have paid, had he been buying gasoline.
  3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

now companies own rivers...yeah good one
  4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Most of the time, groundwater is owned by the agency in which the groundwater flows into. ie a lake or reservoir. water rights are tricky subjects... the power company might be able to get away with it.

what state is this issue in?
  5. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Its like you own land 5 feet down. If i can drill from my land under your land and find oil its mine.
  6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Here in Georgia you can pump from a creek/river/lake without a permit from EPD as long as its not more than 10,000 gallons per day. That same creek/river/lake are usually waters of the state so the state has jurisdiction/control on them.

I could see a problem if its a large sod farm and the withdrawl of water is great. You can also see a problem should the primary use of land around this river is sod farms, if you have several sod farms on one river the water use would be tremondous. This comes down to what is more important, sod or electricity.

I dont agree with the water meter being installed, just stating facts. I can imagine that during drought conditions ever gallon counts so the electric company may have primary use since electricity is essential.
  7. AUHort1990

This is in Alabama.
  8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

They'll get away with it. They are an essential utility. It sucks, but that's the way it is.
  9. AUHort1990

Yeah but its still a crock. What is to stop them from billing anybody who pumps out of the rivers they have dams on? The Coosa River and the Talapoosa rivers meet and form the Alabama River. I know there is at least one golf course on the Alabama and there is probably more. The bolf course pumps out of the river to water the courses so they could also be billed.

What is next, billing people who want to fish or boat around on the river? Heck, why not, they act like if it wasn't for AL Power the river wouldn't be there.
  10. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

IF its the one near the honda plant its the only sod farm on that section of the river everything else around it are a couple of campgrounds and some lake houses
    The water at that part of the river is already down below winter pool
    The waters edge is about two feet past the end of my pier now usually its about 7-8 feet deep at the end of it
    Yes its a large one but I dont think its as big now as it used to be
    I dont know if they pump from a well or straight out of the river
    My thing is this sod farm has been there for a long time(at least 15-20 years)
    and alabama power is just now deciding to mess with them

A little OT here
    Yall have heard about AL Power wanting to cut down some 80 year old pecan trees on a ladies property over in Jacksonville
    They have been trimming them back for years and now they want to just take them out

Sad thing is Al power will get away with all of it eventually