Power difference Echo 650 vs. 5hp push blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Sep 24, 2004.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hi guys, I am about to buy a 5hp Billy Goat (used) for the leaf season. How big of a power difference will i see between it and the Echo 650 backpack? I used a 5hp BG push last fall so i know how those go, but i haven't had the 650 buried in leaves like that. I was thinking about buying another big backpack, maybe even the RedMax 8000, but i'm getting the BG push for a steal, and a little extra power is nice to have. I know 5hp isn't huge on power but it is lightweight which is very nice. The yard i rented one to use on last fall was really steep all over and it was a major workout to use the BG on it (will use the 650 on it mostly now that we have power on our backs, and use the BG for more level areas or work the hills sideway if possible).

Still in need of a truck loader bad!!! Don't make me use the 5hp again this year! Please..... anything will do. PM me if you have any for sale or know of any.
    So, how much more powerful is the 5hp BG push than the Echo PB650 b/p?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The backpack will actually be faster, because as you're shaking the hose, you are covering the area more thoroughly. The 5 hp just doesn't cut it. I went that route once, for the exact same reason you are..it was used and a good deal (well, what seemed like a good deal). The bottom line came down to it being useless because the mower would move leaves much faster and more thorough than this "pushblower". Bottom line...save your money and put it toward some piece of equipment that you will have use for, because after a few times, you won't even bother getting it off the trailer.
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

It will be for larger more open areas where i will choose not to use the mower and bagger (usually because leaves are too deep and would dump the bagger too often). With my experience with renting that one last fall I would like to have one. I should mention that my back does not hold up very well for only 17 years of use, and the big backpacks kill me after a while. I am getting this for less than half of what i paid for my Echo 650 and it is in like new condition. it is worth that to me.

Hey did you ever see in that one thread or in my private message where i asked you about a homemade loadhandler?
  4. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

I bought a used 5hp Giantvac last year. Since then I have bought a an echo 750 backpac and I just bought today a 13hp Billy Goat push blower.

The 5hp blower is going in the want ad for $150.
  5. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Simsy71, you have a PM.
  6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I imagine the Echo 650 has close to 5 hp itself...They ain't no punk... And I concur, a 5 hp push blower would be a waste IMO...
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

eric--I am glad the 5 hp BG worked for you.

I have the 5 hp SNAPPER push blower and it is not worth a tinkers damn for my purposes.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The 650 is alot better then the 5hp push. if anything i would go with a 6hp little wonder and a 650. But you will find a 8hp or 10hp on the jrco blower buggy and a 650 is a KILLER COMBO!!!!!!. You decide?? Watch the video on the blower buggy on jrcoinc .