1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Power dump for Walker worth price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gardenpro, Feb 20, 2003.

1. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

Is this option worth it for a 9.5 bushell? Sounds like a lot of money, especially when I have to get off the mower each dump to set up a tarp, and load into truck. Thanks for any input.
  2. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

The only way I say it is worth it is if you are dumping at all your properties or dumping into the truck using one of those ramps that go from the trailer to the truck.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Have you done a time study on how long you spend per day/week on and off the mower dumping? The newer power dumps are supposed to be faster but I find that to be lots of money to try and make up. If it is a money saver for you in the long run, it may be worth it but you have to study your times.
  4. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

Actually I'm in the process of buying the machine new. The dealer told me it was a pain to put on and he'd have to 'eat that'. Then he suggested against it.
    I regularly have wet grass and wondered if it would be helpful with such a constantly heavy load during the lifting. Everything will be loaded directly into the truck by way of tarp, and carry into truck.
  5. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

:cool: I considered the power dump and decided it was more money, weight, opportunity for a breakdown and "nice but not needed".
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If you have money to blow, then go for it. I look at it more as a luxury than neccessity. Gardenpro, I think you answered your own question. If you have to get off the mower anyway, then why get this? E-man has good point about dumping in a truck, but still not worth the money.

7. DieselTurfer HD

DieselTurfer HD LawnSite Member

We also looked into a power dump for one of our walkers. What does it take like maybe 10 seconds to dump the catcher. Also seems like alot could break if you backed into a tight area then went to dump and the dumper would not go up due to something being in its path. Seems to expensive and not much of a time saver at all. Your going to be hustling all day anyways so whats the extra 10 seconds to jump off the machine....
  8. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Without a doubt. It's well worth the money. We have it one ours.
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Speaking of walker dumps, what about the all seasons lift that dumps into bed of your truck. $3,000.00 plus labor, and i've been told that it takes two guys with experience 6 hours to install. most of the guys running walkers in my town have them. I don't have a walker my self too much $$$. But we all get to laugh at the guys that dump on the ground/tarp and then kill themselves picking it up. What a waste of time! jmo i guess. I guess my question is if any of you have had luck with the lift and is it worth the extra $$$. It puts the price of a 25hp 48" around $13,000, but the dealer "says" it will outlast the machine.
  10. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

We built a ramp form the front of the trailer into the back of the truck. Can back into truck, hop off and dump in just a few seconds. Wasn't too expensive to build either. Why handle grass any more than you have to??