Power Edger Vs. Hand Edging (input pls!)

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by aaronm, Apr 15, 2008.

1. aaronm

aaronm LawnSite Member

This is my first year full time doing Lawn Care, and Mulching on my own.

Years ago I worked for a landscaper who taught me to edge with spade shovels.

It takes alot of back breaking work but, if done well can still look really good. (my customers are always tickled pink with my hand edging)

I have been apprehensive about using a power edger simply because I don't know what to expect. What do they do when they encounter rocks or large roots?

I have a fairly large mulch job coming up and I was thinking about renting a bed edger from my local rental store.

Is edging by hand just completely ridiculous at this point? Any tips on running these machines for a first timer?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :usflag:

2. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

I'm a newbie, but my brother-in-law had a retail (not commercial) edger and it made great edges. And he is a lawn nut!!!!! I am looking to get a dedicated edger - much cleaner edge - any recommendations on edgers?

Thanks, Pistol

3. Brett's Cutting Edge

Brett's Cutting Edge LawnSite Member
    from novi

Ive rented a few and picked up a Brown Bed Edger last year. The only thing i would recomend is have MissDig come out. The first time I used one i cut several phone lines in many areas. But otherwise they do the job quick and all you have to do is pull it around.

4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

You will want to look at the Edge R Rite by Turfco. It is a power edger made for commercial use. It will last for years. It cuts like a small sod cutter back and forth so there is not dirt thrown into the beds. It leaves and edge like a manual edger only much cleaner. It has 5 blades for 5 types of cutting. Everything from sidewalks, curbs, tree rings and the most popular is for beds. See it at Turfco.com