power inverter for my truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by peeklandscaping, Jul 20, 2014.

1. peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Hi guys! So I thought it'd be pretty cool to be able to run power directly from my truck on carpentry jobs, tools like circular saws, big drills, reciprocating saw, stuff like that. Impulse buy- I went to lowes and picked this up: http://www.lowes.com/pd_328619-8960...l=1&currentURL=?Ntt=power+inverter&facetInfo= now I'm kinda having second thoughts.
    1) Do I need the truck idling whenever I run power using this unit? Can I charge, say, my laptop, hooked to this, while I'm driving?
    2) Is there "hardwiring" available, or do I have to pop the hood and hook up to the truck battery every time I want power?
    3) Could I keep the clamps connected to the battery, tuck the inverter somewhere under the hood, and keep it all just plugged in? Or that would drain the truck, right?
    4) have to wire it all up just to print something off my portable printer while on the road?
    Just having some doubts... I can return no problem if there's something better out there.
    Opinions and insights would be appreciated!

2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

That inverter may be too small to run some of your power tools. It only has an output of 6.6 amps, and a circular saw requires 10+. It may run a reciprocating saw. You can hardwire it, it would probably require at least #6 wire with a 30 amp fuse. You can probably use it for short periods without idling your truck but at full load it will be a pretty good drain on your truck battery.

3. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

We had one to run a 3/8 drill on a job. You need to keep the truck running or you will drain the battery. IF your constantly doing projects that require electric tools you might want to invest in a generator

4. peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I guess I have to look into hardwiring it. How would I go about this?