Power King tractor - worth anything?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Pecker, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello all. This is in regards to an old Power King tractor, model 2418. It needs an engine rebuild or maybe even a new engine altogether. Hydros are supposed to be good, but that is only what I've been told. Looks to have set outside for several years. Has sheet metal, not fiberglas, so I assume pre-1985. None of the tractor service companies locally have ever even heard of a Power King, Dandy, or Economy which are all the same tractor, so parts would be hard to come by. The good side is that it looks to be about as simple as a tractor could be so any mechanic should probably be able to work on it. . .it looks to have a 16 or 18 hp engine and I think they put Kohlers in these things.

Is this old dog worth anything? How much would it be worth if it were functional and had a working loader? Thanks in advance.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I have worked on a few of these old tractors and yes they are pretty easy to work on but the parts availability is the killer. The ones I worked on had the old Kohler 18. The last I heard they were being built for Snapper (the one with the fiberglass hood). As far as worth it just depends on what someone is willing to pay, Again if one can't find replacement parts that lowers the value drastically, One broken part could put the unit to pasture.

3. Pecker

Thank you Restrorob. . .

4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

They bring anywhere from $1500-2500 in running condition around here. They are mostly listed in the NC Ag Review in that price range with a mower deck, sickle mower, plow, and disc.

The 14-16hp Kohlers are easy to get parts for, the 18hp K-361 and the rest of the tractor is what is hard to find.

5. Pecker

Smalltimer,
    Thanks for your response. . .what do ya reckon one with a loader would go for?

6. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say anywhere from $2000 on up. Though I've never seen a Jim Dandy with a loader.

7. Pecker

Ok. Thank you.