Power King tractor - worth anything?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Pecker, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello all. This is in regards to an old Power King tractor, model 2418. It needs an engine rebuild or maybe even a new engine altogether. Hydros are supposed to be good, but that is only what I've been told. Looks to have set outside for several years. Has sheet metal, not fiberglas, so I assume pre-1985. None of the tractor service companies locally have ever even heard of a Power King, Dandy, or Economy which are all the same tractor, so parts would be hard to come by. The good side is that it looks to be about as simple as a tractor could be so any mechanic should probably be able to work on it. . .it looks to have a 16 or 18 hp engine and I think they put Kohlers in these things.

Is this old dog worth anything? How much would it be worth if it were functional and had a working loader? Thanks in advance.

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I've seen a few over the years but not many. I'm not sure what it would be worth in that condition. A few hundred I guess. Your right, they did use Kohler engines and I have no idea where you would ever find any parts for that old thing. Good luck.

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Read my response to your other post about Jim Dandy tractors.

4. Bill P. II

Bill P. II LawnSite Member
    from TN

Depends on condition and the options on it. The 18 hp motor is known to have head problems. If the head is bad it could cost $400 to $500 in parts. Good small tractors if they work OK. I found this site when looking for parts for a 1975 14 hp I have. Many parts have not been available in over 25 years and some are hard to find. I would be interested in it for parts if you do not want it.
    They were a small company. The hitch is a cat 0 3 point and most but not all, small cat 0 implements will work with it. It has a front PTO, but no rear PTO. All parts will interchange between the 18 AND 14 HP except the motor. I am in TN. Where are you located? E-mail me with more details and I will try to help you.

Bill P. II

5. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

I have worked on the Power King, changed engines, clutches ,brakes and other small things. ONE tough unit, although the Kohler sixteen seems to have a longer life span, the engine seems to be the weak link. My opinion of this is no one seems to know when to shut them down as to high RPM.s...... Slow them down and shift a gear they will run many years longer. As to what its worth, they are quite collectable to the older generation, I would buy one if it was local and not out of reason, one in good running shape by itself should bring approximately eight to a grand, if its like new (some are) then of course the price goes up. They have a good powerful gear system and I have not seen the tranny tore up or the rear end gears. Just my thoughts, hope it works out for you.