1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

power level

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by lawnman757, Apr 12, 2006.

1. lawnman757

lawnman757 LawnSite Member
    from MD

I am a little concerned with the power level of my 26 liquid cooled mower, with a 60" deck. The mower seems to bog down when cutting thick grass ( cutting between 3.5 and 4" hieght). The cut looks good other then the power level seeming to fall off. Mower has 5 hrs on it. This bothers me, for the main reason of my jd 757 with a 60" deck, 25 kaw. and 800 hours blows right through it. Is this normal? Should i take it to maybe have the rpms checked or suggestions on what to check? Thanks for your help.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would have your dealer check the engine RPM's, just to make sure they are where they belong.
    How fast are you going when this happens?

3. lawnman757

lawnman757 LawnSite Member
    from MD

I am probly at about half speed (7 mph). My fathers 23hp, regular Z with a 60" cuts through the same section without bogging down.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I would have those RPM's checked. Or go out and buy a tach and check them yourself.

They should be at least 3750 rpm "no load".

That LC 26 just won't have the power a 28EFI or a 30 Kohler will. If all checks out OK, you may just have to deal with it.