Power outlet on mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by echo8287, Feb 1, 2008.

1. echo8287

echo8287 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

Anybody got a power outlet on their mower> cigarette lighter plug? Do you know if it would work ok? I have them on my boat, just wanted to know if the alternator and battery on the mower would handle it. David

2. patterson

patterson LawnSite Member

A buddy of mine put one on his Dixie Chopper a few years back. When it got cold doing leaves in the fall, he would plug a heated motorcycle vest into it. As far as I know, it worked just fine.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

As long as you're not drawing a heavy load constantly (say over 10 amps) and you give the battery a few minutes to get recharged after starting the mower you should be fine. Make sure you fuse the wire going to the cigarette lighter/power outlet.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have one that just clips on too the battery, I used to have a portable cd player that I used it for.....never had any problems but of course it only used 2 AA batteries so.......

wayne

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

This is sorta funny, but my Older Dixon 5023 (2001 model) has a cig. plug built into the fender on the throttle side. So odd that they had them on there, since in 2001 there was no such thing as ipods of the like to use power off of a plug like that. Maybe it was there to plug the radar detector into? Would come in handy if I had one of theose little portable air compressors that you plug into a cig. plug. Get a flat? no problem! (of course that's why I carry the air bubble on the trailer)

6. echo8287

echo8287 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

I wanted it for powering up ipod ,cd player and the like. It would be stuff with a small current draw. David

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Go for it. A 10 amp quick blow fuse with 14 ga wire should be fine.

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with Richard...........think you would be ok

wayne