power overseeding questions.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by PTSolutions, Jun 28, 2008.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

i have a couple clients that i am going to need to overseed come late summer/fall. The houses are both new and in developments where they had one company do all the work and therefore everything came out SHITTY! alot of cheap seed was used and had alot of weeds in it, many bare spots etc... Well the best option is to overseed the entire yard to get it in full and thick. Ive never overseeded, we have installed alot of new yards, but never something like this. I was gonna get a dethatcher to get rid of the excessive amounts of straw they put down then seed it over. I want to know if there are any ways to calculate the amount of seed needed for this or any tips? i usually put down 4-5lbs of seed per 1000 sq. feet in new installs.

2. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

There seems to be a lot of this going around. We did about 30 of them this spring. We sprayed for the weeds, waited a couple of weeks, then slit seeded. One week later we put down the starter fert and they look much better. If they are real bad a topdressing may be in order too. Some may need a little more in the fall, but overall it works pretty good. I think a lot of these builders are just hiring a guy with a skid and rake, and this is all they do all day long. Half the problem is no one waters anything. We bought some digital watering systems that run up to 4 zones off a spigot and they work great. You can set them to come on up to 3 times a day, so you don't spend all your time watering, or hoping the homeowner takes care of it. We charge $250 to set up the system and leave it for a 6 weeks.

3. PTSolutions

from OH

where did you get those from? i hate having to worry about if the customer remembers what i tell them about watering!

4. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We got them through AM Leonard. I believe they are made by a company called Orbit. They work really well, like I said you can run 4 zones off 1 spigot and time each separate so you get full pressure.

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do not have one, I would try to rent a good slit seeder
    lesco rents them, also the lawn solutions power seeders are for rent at some places. Clik the banner at the top of page and see where you can rent one.
    If you are using tall fescue, the rate is 7-8 pounds/ 1000sf.
    Use the machine going in 2 directions to get thatch, straw out and clean out.
    When slit seeding go 2 different directions with half of seed rate in each direction. Apply starter fert and water, water water.
    If there is grass cover, I core aerate first.
    If there are hills, you will need a cover for the seed, I found rolls of thin straw matting and cover the hill using staples to hold down the mat. As the seed starts to come in good and starts getting tall, the mat will need to be removed.
    I have been getting good results with this way of doing it.

6. PTSolutions

from OH

thanks for the tips Premo! 7-8lbs per 1k? wow, that sounds like a lot since bluegrass mix here is recommended at 3-4lbs per 1k. no hills really. I will be using a 5 way perennial rye blend b/c the area is about 60% shade during the day and i want something hardy and low maintenance, its for that type of client...

7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

I would also tell you to not clean up the straw that is there. Any slit seeder using fixed blades ( which they have to have to slice the soil) will chop the straw and existing grass and give the seed some cover from the UV. When looking for a rental seeder be sure it has fixed blades to cut into the ground. There are some machines out there they call seeders that have flail blades. You will not be happy with the result. Best units are Lesco, Turfco, Ryan Mataway and lawn soultions. The bluebird is in most rental locations but it is a dethatcher with a seed box usually. Just make sure the unit has fixed blades
    turfcobob

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking you were using tall fescue.
    The 7-8 was for tall fescue
    Other seeds would naturaly have different and lower rates.

9. PTSolutions

from OH

ya, we normally use premium bluegrass for new installs for the wow factor, and it makes us look good. i just looked up the fescue blend after you posted and it lists 6-8lbs per 1k sq. ft. i shoulda looked before i spoke lol!