power paddles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Apr 7, 2008.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Just wondering how well they work. How much, if any, of the lawn do they tear out while using them. At a price tage of $304.00 (attatchment for sthil trimmer) are they worth it in time savings. Thanks in advance.

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Was also just going to post this. I have alot of gravel to remove off turf (like screening size) Would the paddle work over say the power sweep?

Cheers

3. bibbo

bibbo LawnSite Member

haha i was wondering the same thing as well, i have some sand and gravel to remove off a few lawns.

4. Ford Guy

Ford Guy LawnSite Member

they work great for removing stones and sand from the snow plows

5. bibbo

bibbo LawnSite Member

do they dig up the grass? how hard are they to use?

6. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

Ha to rakes. If you like to rake then do so, but once you get a paddle broom you will ask yourself why you didnt get on a long time ago. I got one this april to clean up all the rocks for plowing, and after doing a clean up that took 4-5 hours last year, with 2 guys. Took me 2 hours by my self to do the same job, So if your time is not worth anything dont get it, but it if is then go buy it tomm. And also there are so many things you can do with it to. We put small stripes on a soccer field that is astroturf and it looks great. If you have questions let me know

7. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

No they dont tear the turf at all, the most that it does is dethatch the turf to an extent

8. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought the paddle for my 90 4 mix stihl on friday, and it is great besides the ordeal with the stihl dealer. The moron at the dealer installed the gearbox backwards so the paddle spun the wrong way. The unit works great now. It has helped greatly with the 2 spring cleanups I have done with it. Takes 2 minutes to sweep the sand into the road instead of 15. I would recommend this unit to anybody.

9. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Nothing easier for getting gravel out of grass without any damage. One trick though- mount it so it works while pulling the trimmer towards you, pushing gets pretty tiring, pulling it you can 1 hand it all day. They don't spin real fast so the gravel doesn't get shot out of them but it moves it 4-5 ft' with 1 swipe. We do probably close to a miles worth of gravel drives and road shoulders and would use noting else.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. And when we use ours, many times, we just pull them behind us, and work lengtwise with the paddles angled at about a 45 degree angle. When we use ours, we don't use them MUCH over idle...there is no need, and as a matter of fact, spinning too fast sometimes flips stones the wrong way if they stick in the paddles. The point about pulling the unit instead of pushing is dead on. Turn the head half way around so it is mounted upside down. A true work saver.
    As an example of time saved, it used to take me about a half hour to rake outmy ditch full of gravel. I would rake vigorously - criss-crossing, and rake it all down to the bottom of the ditch and pile it. I would then use a flat shovel to toss it up onto the shoulder of the road (having to rake again the last little bit left at the bottom of the ditch onto the shovel - like a dustpan). Now a couple of days ago, I did my ditch, my next door neighbor's full length of ditch, our rental property - including our empty lot, and my aunt's house, which is next door to that both sides, and a rather wide area. It took me 40 minutes, and these ditches were CLEAN. That is doing both sides of the ditch, of course. I just run sections lengthwise, and yes,...you can run the stuff right up hill with the paddlebrooms. You can run straight lines back in sort of a "rowing" motion, but I prefer to go lengthwise.
    I just measured this on google, and it is a total of 560 ft., minus 4 driveways.:)