power pruner help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jds720, Apr 27, 2008.

1. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

Used HT 75 STIHL ($185) or a new Echo PPF-210 or the Troy-Built pole saw attachment. I need a pole saw for palm tree frawns. Im trying to stay in-expensive. I wont be using it everyday, but Its still a need. Any suggestions? Those are my options. :dizzy:

2. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

anybody??????:confused:

3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

jd, inexpensive isn't going to get you much in quality. Price out the Stihl HT 101, it'll be worth it in the long run for you to get a new, quality, professional piece of equipment. If you buy used it's a 50/50 shot if it will be reliable or wind up costing you money.

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Echo's PPT230 has served us well over the years. In my opinion its one of the best out there although it get heavy especially when fully extended.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have the echo as well, and it is just so smooth. the loop handle makes it MUCH easier to handle, an of course with Echo, you always get that 2nd to 3rd pull startup that is is always nice.

6. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We use the echo ppt261.
    Very smooth and well balanced.

7. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

For palm fronds, I find a Silky Hayaugchi (21' telescoping hand powered saw) to be very nearly as fast, with a LOT longer reach, and a whole LOT lighter weight (easier on the arms). I own both this and a Stihl powered telescoping saw, have used both on palm fronds, and prefer the handsaw most of the time. Having said that, if there are lots of fronds, or lots of trees close together, and the powered saw will reach, that is sometimes faster.

Bottom line is Silky is around $200.00 and, like Stihl, a TOP OF THE LINE product; the Stihl is likely 3 times as expensive.

8. Forget them both

Get a ladder and a small Echo or Stihl chainsaw for fronds... and I mean a small one! Get up there and with a small saw you can cut fronds ten times faster than with a pole saw. Not to mention your arms will be worn out because the leverage you get with those things stinks when you really have to reach.

Both Echo and Sthl make chainsaw that you can swing with one hand. Trust me - it's not even a close comparison.

9. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Ay-uh (that's Northeastern speak for yes), google one hand chainsaw injuries. I don't care how careful you are trying to be, using a saw one-handed is asking for trouble.

For me, moving around a 10'-12' ladder from tree to tree will take longer than using a Silky.

10. What google search WON'T tell you is how many people get hurt simply changing the chain on their saw.

There's tons of injuries in this business period - if you're not careful.

There are plenty of chainsaws out there that weigh less than 8 pounds...

I'm not saying get up there and swing away.. But for the most part, any frond you cut without a boom truck is either gonna be low enough to the ground you only need a 6 foot ladder or high enough to go up to a 30 foot ladder... either way, i'd rather be using a 6-7 pound chainsaw at a minimum of twice the speed instead of swinging a pole saw 8 feet further away than I need to be while grasping for leverage.

I cut well over 500 palms last year. Used a pole saw on about 15.