1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

power prunner or stihl

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C4chris70, Feb 24, 2002.

1. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

was wondering if anyone could give me some input on which pole saw is better? I am considering purchasing either the echo 2400 power prunner or the equivalent stihl. I did a search, but turned up no results. Any input is appreciated.
  2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

you can't go wrong with either.. we have a stihl and its great...but the echo is just as good from what I hear
  3. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

As said both are great but I have a stihl dealer in town and this is my deciding factor.....Plus Stihl sounds tougher than echo! haha
    Good luck!

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You will find it is easier to change a chain on the Stihl.
    Also, the oiler on the Stihl is gear driven, the Echo is driven via a rubber o-ring type band, at least last ones I saw were, they may have changed.
  5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The Echo Power Pruner has a longer reach, plus there is a 5' extension that is an option.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

When it comes to saws I just don't think you can beat the Stihl's.
  7. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Yes this has changed. One of the first things that Echo did upon buying Technic Tool was to change the cutting head. It now includes the same adjustable oiler sustem that is found on the CS3000 & CS3400 saws....big improvement!

Also, the Echo has a fiberglass outer shaft instead of a rubber wrapped steel that the Stihl uses. The inner shaft on the Echo is a reinforced aluminium as opposed to Stihl's steel, trimmer type shaft which becomes very unstable when extended to full length. Unlike the Stihl, the Echo gear head is held to the shaft by a screw that goes through the shaft. This is in addition to the screws that tighten over the end of the shaft. You do not have to worry about leaving the cutting attatchment up in the the tree on an Echo. The inner telescoping drive shafts on both are about the same.......Stihl had to pay a settlement to the patent holder in an infingement lawsuit.

Hands down, the Echo is a better built, better performing tool.
  8. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

I own an Echo and personnaly love it! I looked at the Shihl, and the deciding factors were the fiberglass shaft, and the dealer.
  9. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

i have the stihl i love it
    my dealer let me try a shindaiwa and i want one of those to because for easy stuff it is so light and plus it has a shorter shaft so it makes so then you don't have to be so far away, but then is blows because it is not adjustable at all.
    everything i have every picked up that was echo gave me problems durability, reliability, no power at all compared to shindaiwa and stihl.
    my .02
  10. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

Sometimes I wonder if a spelling, grammer, and punctuation checker would help?

Sorry, but sometimes I discount what some of you have to say by how well you can relay it through typing.