Power question for Hustler owners

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Zoso, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Zoso

Zoso LawnSite Member

O.K. now i've mown over an acre of overgrown grass with a demo Hustler Z 60". I was very impressed over-all with the machine. I was a little disappointed however with the power of the 23 hp kawasaki. It bogged more than I expected mowing somewhat overgrown grass. It didn't sag terribly but it was clear that the engine labored when I pushed it.

How much of a difference in grass cutting torque would I notice with one of Hustler's bigger engine options?

I do realize the demo unit's blades could be thrashed. I also realize that I would probably be keeping my grass to a height that would never bog the mower.

Also:

How well do you guys like the suspension seat Hustler offers?

Thanks again.

2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Both of my 61" Scag's have 29 HRSPWR and nothin stops them. :)

3. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

23 hp is not enough on a 60" machine IMO I have 25hp on the 52" and it does very well. For the 60 I would suggest the lc26 or the 28efi. Either of these would be a totally different mower.

Why didn't you check the blades? Yes this could make a slight differance as well as air flow across the deck. It might have been clogged with debris. If mine is clogged I notice an extreme differance in cut and performance.

I like the suspension seat but it seems like it has to be at the perfect setting. I keep mine to where it is almost bottoming out and it rides pretty good.

Cutter LLC

4. Zoso

Zoso LawnSite Member

Cutter LLC:

Thanks for the reply.

5. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

On a 60" deck you need a 27 or 28EFI (my choice). 28EFI is much more fuel efficient and it's extremely rare to 'lag', or case the RPM to drop; the computer keeps it in optimal operating range 98% of the time. It will have a longer life (more hours) than a non-computerized engine. You will love using it ! It costs ~$800 more than a 25 Kaw, but it's worth EVERY nickel!

6. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Just noticed you're not commercial. While what I said still holds true, for you purposes the 27 Kohler may be better because of the price difference. Don't make the mistake of getting too little power, you'll never be happy. 23 hp isn't enough, and the 25 Kaw isn't noticably much better, IMO.

The suspension seat is costly, but it's worth the money if you're on it all day. You know your property, if it's real bumpy and takes more than an hour, you will be happy with the suspension seat - I wouldn't be without it!