1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Power rake and aerate lawn first or vice-versa?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jmbillon, Sep 11, 2005.

1. jmbillon

jmbillon LawnSite Member

Because the summer has been so dry, I have been advised to aerate the lawn and re-seed it. I research the web and found an article advising to use a power aerator and then use a power rate. When reserving the equipment to a rental place, the owner advise me to use the power rake before aerating the lawn. Do you have any idea as to what I should really do? Thank you in advance for your help. Best regards. Jean-Marie
  2. kansas_turf_man

kansas_turf_man LawnSite Member

If your going to overseed and aerate the lawn My suggestion is to use a hollow-tine power aerator before overseeding. By using the power rake and overseeding after aerating it will chop up the cores leaving more loose soil for the seed to come into contact with which will help with germination. Don't forget to apply a starter fertilizer once finished and keep the soil moist for a few weeks. Charge enough to make a good profit...this will make them keep it looking good if they have to pay a price for it. Good Luck!!!
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

He means a CORE aerator, and to be quite blunt, core aeration is the ONLY sensible alternative, there is only 1 or 2 highly specific situations where you might consider a spike aerator but do NOT use a spiker when seeding.

Far as how you do it, tell you what:
    I done did the do so many times, it don't really matter if you aerate then seed or seed then aerate, it don't make a bit of difference in the end and I don't care what they say, talk about the tines will drive the seed in the hole vs. the seed falling in there naturally, it's all the same thing.
    Matter of fact, last year I had a yard which messed me around on my schedule and I had to cut it 3 days after I aerated/limed/fertilized/seeded it and I thought I was skru'd for sure and that yard turned out BEAUTIFUL, despite the fact you're NOT supposed to do that at all, at least not before it rains (and it hadn't).
    So as far as I'm concerned, yeah I'll follow the rules and IF they're paying me more than the usual then I MIGHT consider listening to the bs for a few minutes but this is my 4th year and if they think they know how to do it better then they can do it themselves, lol. Not to be so arrogant, but just wait until you get the criss-cross aeration run-around and you might understand my attitude better, heheh.

Now on the power-rake, that I don't know... I own the aerator and I don't rent such machines, so...
  4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Power raking then aerating is a waste of time-unless you are aerating with a pto driven aerifier that can pull cores below the five inches a power box rake can penetrate.
    The easiest, most profitable process is to use the rake not the aerifier.