power rake and aerate prices?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by adamc6, Feb 25, 2003.

1. adamc6

adamc6 LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me what they are charging for power raking and aerating per sq ft. I would love to get into it, but have no idea how to properly charge for it. Thanks.

2. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to offer this service as well. The machines are high. I do not have any at this time. I was thinking of charging a regular customer the same as a lawn mowing and a non customer double what a mowing would cost. How does that sound?

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If that is your pricing structure, please stay in Texas:angry: That is ridiculously low. Aerating and Power Raking fees go for $10 - $20 per 1K square feet.

Do The Math with some of your lawns involved and you will see what I am getting at.

4. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

No of fence but your price thinking is way to low . The average seems to be $10 every thousand square feet or three times the regular mowing for aerating.

Power raking is a whole other story you would never be able to make a profit by only charging regular mowing prices. Remember you will have a ton of thatch to clean up.

Also, de-thatching should only be done if the thatch is more than a 1/4 inch thick. other wise aerating will be sufficient for helping it break down.

5. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Hollaway, way too low,.. it seems you have never done it before.
    My suggestion is to try it on your own yard and go from there, power raking is alot of work, If you find out that your price sticks,
    contact me, I will have alot of subbing for you this spring.

Good Luck

6. rodfather

Exactly.

Wait till you see how much debris you have to rake or vacuum up after power raking and dethatching. Can you say, "Dump Truck"?

7. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Well guys thanks for the tips on pricing. I have never done it but would like to offer it within the next 2 years or so. I do know that one can be rented here for $90 per day. So if any one called me to do the job for them than maybeit would not hurt to start the price at $75 or so. I do not know of any others here offering these services but will be checking on it.

Again thanks for saving me and adamc6 from loosing money.:blush:

8. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Generally, I'm around $10 per thousand sq ft for aerating and $25 per k for dethatching and disposal.

9. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Power Raking ?I've only done this once and it was my own,but let me tell you it was a job hand raking up all that dead stuff,I hauled several truck loads away.

I just wanted to ask if I could use my Ultra Vac on my ZTR to clean up all that stuff almost totally eliminating any hand raking.
    I have had a few customer asking about having it done this year,I don't own a machine to power rake but I am able to rent,thats why I need to make more time on clean up.
    THANX

10. rodfather

Here's how I do it: I have my JRCO dethatcher mounted to the front of my 61" Ferris WB. Also, I have a Trac Vac Model 470 mounted on the machine. I can dethatch and pickup the debris at the same time using just one machine.

Works great too.