Power Rake on 2wd Tractor

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by procut, Jan 11, 2008.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this possible or am I just dreaming? I guess the question is, would a 2wd compact tractor work with a harley or land pride power rake? Figure ag tires on the rear, loaded, and then weight on the front. It seems like as long as the soil wasn't really muddy or extremly sandy you wouldn't have too many problems getting stuck. Any opinions?

2. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

There's a hydraulic flow rate or certain horse power that needs to be produced by the tractor for the function of any particular attachment.

3. procut

No, I'm not worried about having the power to run the power rake, I'm wondering if it would be hard to get traction in the lose soil while using the rake, without having a 4wd tractor.

4. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

Before the rock hounds came out, i used power rakes extensively. Always ran them with a larger size tractor but not always with 4WD. Most slipping came on hills and turns but were generally not a problem. The drum when turning is pulling you backwards a little, this creates more drag on your little machine.

5. procut

ok, thanks!

6. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

I have a 50hp 4*4 and I use a 8 ft harley and mostly can do the job in 2wd, I would think you could get by, The farmers got by for a long time without 4wd. Just keep your foot handy to the differential lock.

7. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

It would probably work, but I would much rather use a skidsteer. Gets around easier.

8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think it would work just fine unless the ground was really muddy. There's always braking the side that spins or using the diff lock, too.

I was thinking of getting a used 5' or 6' rake to go behind my tractor at one point but haven't yet. Only thing I would dislike would be the dust.

9. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

There will be times you wish for 4WD, but for the most part it will work. I have a 5 Ft rake on my JD2520, and do most of the work in 2WD, but slopes will be more difficult for you.