1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Power rake or Aerate first?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassrootsinab, Nov 25, 2003.

1. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

Just wondering if you guys power rake then aerate first or aerate then power rake? I'm wondering that if I rake after aerating it will break the plugs but in collecting the thatch, I may be removing too much soil. Let me know what you think.

ps. I know that power raking really shouldn't be done every year, I have clients that no matter how much I tell them, they still want it done.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've never in 9 years done both at the same time...one or the other ONLY.
  3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I usually thatch the lawns that need to be thatched in Spring and Aerate in Fall.
  4. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I will lightly dethatch in the spring. Any heavy dethatching we do in the fall as to not break up any roots going into the hot summer months. I have found that doing a heavy dethaching in the spring also allows any weed seeds flouting around to germinate easier. Aerate always in the fall. I have never done them at the same time. We start aerating in Sept. and will detatch if necessary with the fall clean up.
    Schankla likes this.
  5. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Dethach in the spring, only when neccesary. Aerate in either spring or fall. Fall aeration recommended.
    That's how we do it in our neck of the woods. Seems to work fine for us.
    High blade tip speed, SHARP blades and sometimes I will double my blades - grass clippings get chopped so fine - there's no change for thatch build up.
    I had to dethacth one lawn in 4 years and that was to clean up the previous lco's mess.
    Good Luck
  6. The Happy Gardner

The Happy Gardner LawnSite Member

Like most everyone else I rarely do both at the same time. On the few occasions I have, always aerate after dethatching and the clean-up. If you do it the other way you would just fill in the aeration holes with thatch.:( :(
  7. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

Fall lawn renovation:

1) Aerate - minimum two passes

2) Thatch - Breaks up the cores and so what if it fills the holes, you already loosened the soil.

3) Hit the lawn with grass seed - Heavy

4) Wait for the compliments
  8. agree with cklands, EXCEPT, I wouldn't rule out aerifying in spring or summer under the right conditions

9. The Happy Gardner

The Happy Gardner LawnSite Member

I don't agree with that assessment, though it is a minor point. Seed will have a hard time germinating in thatch and if all your holes are filled with thatch that eliminates a lot of area for seed to start (if you aerated correctly). Keep in mind all areas of the country are different and the grass type makes a difference also.
    :D :D :D :D
  10. bubenberg

bubenberg LawnSite Member

the danger with seeding after aeration is that some amount of your seed ends up in the aeration holes and won't make it to the top.

we are heavy into topdressing, were we finish with seeding but we dragged the plugs and the new material to prevent from too much seed going into the aeration holes

good luck:)