power rake or renovate??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PaulJ, Apr 1, 2003.

1. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

How would you treat this lawn??

They called and asked for a power raking bid. they said the yard is about 4 years old. The lawn actually has several bare spots and the areas where is is thicker I pulled a couple cores and the thatch layer is under 1/2 inch , or even less than 1/4 in. some areas are just new growth and none of last years grass or thatch is left. They also have a mole problem.

I originally thought about going over it with my tine rake to loosen and remove last years dead grass from the thicker areas, Aerating the whole yard and going over the thiner areas twice. then broadcast seed and starter fert.
    I was going to suggest a fescue bled but after rechecking some seed prices the fescue I was looking at was almost twice as much per 1000 sq ft s a bluegrass . They indicated that they didn't want to spend to much at once. I could go as far as the aeration and let them seed it with what ever they want. I told them overseading the whole yard would help blend everything together well with the same grass instead of patches of different types.

Now I am rethinking things. I could use a power rake to remove some thatch and dead grass from the thick ares and to break the soil surface in the thin and bare areas. the broadcast seed the yard. then run the power rake or tine rake over it to help push the seed in, or I could simply rent a slit seeder and slit seed the yard with little or no prep. Or I could just power rake for them and let them seed what and where they want now and push aerating and overseeding in the fall.

I am thinking the less passes over the yard the better. less time for me and les money for them, and I could sell them on the whole job then and not just a part of it.

I will put a couple pictures up in the next post.

2. PaulJ

heres the front.

see the bare area by the trees?

photo4002.jpg

3. PaulJ

Heres the back

A lot of matted dead grass but new grass coming through in patches

photo4007.jpg

4. brownsfreak

brownsfreak LawnSite Member

I think in that situation I would aerate heavily - at least three times over the trouble area's and then broadcast the seed and starter fert. Since you don't have a great deal of thatch forget the power rake. Inform the customer on what to expect - numerous small plugs and that it will take some time to fill in. Let him know it may require another seeding come fall - best time to seed - to ensure good thickness. At that time I would rent a slice seeder. Good luck.

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

I"ve done about 15 jobs like that in the past 2 weeks and all have been power raked. its looks like a easy job, set the machine high and go over the lawn twice then seed, apply starter fert. and a mulch ( straw, peat moss, or penn-mulch ) in extreme bare spots.

6. PaulJ

Thanks for the input guys.

For best results I would like to go the aerate and overseed route.

But here's another factor .

I do own a power rake, (old kees bought cheap)
    But I would have to rent the aerator or slit seeder.

Also The power rake then seed seams like I could give them a better price and have a better chance getting the job.

Any more input

7. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

rent a overseeder.then once you go over it with that put down some extra seed in the real bare spots.aerating makes plugs with new grass the overseeder makes lines of grass 1/2 inch apart fills in real quick that way.i like to kill off the old lawn and overseed the whole thing.but you can just run the machine over the lawn without killing off the old grass.i'll show you a pic of the lawn i did last year with my over seeder once i find the pic.

8. PaulJ

What do you think of this method.? Using the power rake (with hammers instead of knives) to push the seed in instead of a slicer. Or are you thinking of the ones that drop the seed through a tude directly behind each knife?

9. PaulJ

Bump

Any other thoughts??

I need to give them a roposal in the next day or two.
    I may go for just slit seeding.

10. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

If it was just the bare spots I'd just use the thatcher to rough up the surface and seed. But the overall turf is so nasty that it needs to be slit seeded. Needs to be aerated big time I'd wager from the pics. Same problem here, have a thatcher, slit seeder is $120 a day!:blob3: :blob4: :blob1: