1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

power rake vs. walk-behind with tines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by erics, Nov 26, 2003.

1. erics

erics LawnSite Member

I am going to buy a power rake or a bagger and tine/dethatcher for my walk-behind. I need to know which is going to be quicker and easier to use for spring and fall clean-ups?:blob2: What is a good brand of power rake to buy? What do the power rakes do to the lawn?:confused:
  2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Bluebird makes a nice power rakeer/comber. I also have a spring tine kit for my Walker, which does a good job for cleanups, but does not pull up the stuff anything like the Bluebird.
  4. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I have a tine rake for the walk behind. If you are looking for a deep dethath go for the power rake. If you are just looking to make clean ups a little easier go for the tine rake. It's much faster for a couple reasons:
    1. Its wider
    2. You can cut and bag the grass while you are doing it.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you're just looking for something to help in doing cleanups, then go with the tine rake. These things are INCREDIBLE work and time savers! Don't invest in an actual power rake unless you are planning on doing actual de-thatching jobs. These are so few and far between, that you are better off to just rent when needed. The tine rake, however, is used all the time, and is an great asset in doing cleanups. I have mine hooked up right now to my front deck Gravely to assist in Fall cleanups, even. With as wet as it has been, we have some really matted material in areas. This does the trick. I've also been using it to push heavy piles of ground leaf dust onto the tarps. This is a BIG timesaver.
  6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member