Power rakes with bag????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by instyle, Jan 14, 2006.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I am thinking about buying a Power rake and a vacuum. Just wondering what kind of job the power rakes with the bags do. Would I be faster getting 2-rakes with bags --VS-- 1-Rake and 1-Vacuum?

ps: 2 man crew

2. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

stay a way from the bagger to dang heavy when full

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I will 2nd that.

4. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Those things pick up so darn much material it can't be fiesable to keep dumping the bag. We have always had 1 guy running the power rake, 1 guy running the big blower, and 1 guy dragging a tarp.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Why not just use a mower with some gators on it? Suck up the grass, but at the same time you are creating less space by chopping it up

6. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

You guys don't vacuum? I have never heard of any other way. If a person used a mower they would be emptying their bag avery 5 feet. I always thought a vacuum was the only way....please enlighten me on your process.

Power rake/vac is our biggest season.

7. tiedeman

from earth

This is exactly what I have done over the years and it has worked, and actually made it not as back breaking work.

You make all of your passes with the power rake. Then you slapp on the mower with the bagger unit and go over the lawn sucking up the grass. Yes, you are right, that the bagger units can fill up quickly, but I have found that it is less back breaking work.

I remember this past spring I did an 1 1/2 acre job. It only took a total time of approx 4 hours.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Couldn't you rake it, then mulch the stuff up by running over it a lot of times, then bag it? By mulching it you reduce the quantity before attempting to bag similiar to dealing with leaves?

9. tiedeman

from earth

I have thought about that before, but am worried then that it will just settle back down on top of the ground, and basically making it a lost cause