Power Rakes

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tamo, Feb 20, 2008.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

I have an opportunity to by a Bluebird or a Classen Power Rake. Both are 2003 models and go for $350.00 from my rental dealer. I've used this bluebird model in the past and liked it. Never used a Classen, but have used their sod cutter and liked it. Anyone have an opinion on which to get?

Also do you think its better to get a slit seeder rather than just a power rake? I did 4 lawn renovations last fall using the bluebird power rake and a broadcast spreader and they all came out great. I want to get into more of that, so I want to buy something to eliminate the rental hassle and $350 sounds like a good deal. Most of my lots are city size .10 acres or so -- pretty small.

Anyone else just use a power rake for renovations? Is a slit seeder significantly better? Can I pass up a PR for $350.00?

Thanks for the opinions.

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have any idea how many hours either unit has?

3. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

No, don't know the hours. I actually just got off the phone with the guy and the Classen is already gone. He is going to have the bluebird shipped to the store in my area so I can take a look at it. It does have the 5.5 Honda though.

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Inspect the the machine very closely under the deck housing where the reel rotates.
    Parts can get very expensive very quickly.:waving: