power rakes

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by draftlawncare, Jan 12, 2004.

1. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

can anybody tell me if a powerrake is good to landscape a rough lot it has grass growing on it and the lot is level . i keep it mowed or do i need to bulldoze first to break the earth loose and get rid of the grass

2. bubenberg

bubenberg LawnSite Member

if you are not in a hurry here is what i would do, since the place is movable, you said.i would not disturb the surface until next fall. in Aug or Sept use a power rake to level the uneven spots. aerate, topdress w compost and seed.

3. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto....

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

NO! a power rake is not the best tool to get rid of grass a tiller is and if you havw access to a dozer use it first and save the wear and tear on your equipment. Then power rake it, it will be a better results and half the time.

Mac

5. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

mac do you suggest i till a whole acre i can get a tiller alot cheaper than a dozer . either one is going pull up alot of big rocks how well does the power rake work with rocks about twice the size of a softball will there still be alot of manual raking the lot is level so i will not need topsoil thats stuff is like gold around here

6. olderthandirt

from here

I would drop the teeth down on a box scraper to rip the soil up first, once everything is loose then use a landscape rake to pull most of the rocks off, then power rake to remove the rocks and debris this way will leave you with min. hand raking. Plus you won't destroy the equipment.

Mac

7. sidebuz

sidebuz LawnSite Member

Why not kill the grass with Round-Up this next year (in May sometime). Work it lightly. If more weeds germinate, either hit it with another shot of R-Up (more likely) or if the weeds are small (less than 1-2" area), hit with the power rake. Then do the prep and seed by August (if this is a cool season grass). Reasons for not doing this plan? This is what I would do...

8. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

When ever we have lots of weeds or grass we spray it about three weeks before we plan on doin it with round up. We run a harley over it a couple times and pile the dead **** up. Works fine and isnt hard on the equipment one bit.

9. olderthandirt

from here

Anytime you run a powerake on ground that is not loose it is harder on it that if the soil was already loose. Plus pulling rocks twice the size of softballs beats the heck out of the rake. A cheap $300 6ft. rake on the back of a trac or the front of a skidder will take out 90% of the rocks and weeds if the soil is loose and you will only have to go over the area a total of 3 times to have it ready for seed and your going to be moving fast on each operation. Plus if you loosen the soil first it will give you a seed bed thats 3-4inches deep which is a lot better than an inch.

Mac

10. Bob E G

Bob E G LawnSite Member
    from 53717

Mac, I like your method best, but these others sound reasonable too. Has anyone tried a disk harrow for the first run, then harley, then rock hound? It seems that a disk might really loosen up the soil, take out the weeds and grass, and do it fast. What do you think?