Power raking Centipede

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by fordnut, Jun 16, 2007.

1. fordnut

fordnut LawnSite Member

I have centipede in my personal yard.I need to get some thatch up. My question is do I use any power rake or is there one for centipede or other surface grasses? Is there a different spacing of the blades?..... thanks

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I think that the power rake would tear up southern turf grasses. I would cut low and bag or rake out the thatch.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Ford:
    Any kind of raking now would tear out your stolens...My neighbor did that a month or so ago and pulled out his St. Augustine runners into a big ball. That's what we're wanting to happen with centipede and St. Augustine--Increase grass.
    I put down some weak "Vantage" this weekend to start killing the Dallisgrass--Do you have any of that?

Roy

4. fordnut

fordnut LawnSite Member

yes I do have some dalliegrass, but what will it do for the thatch by killing it? What time of the year do you dethatch in SC? Or do you? Taking care of centipede is new to me. Some web sites say to power rake in the summer and to never use a tine dethatcher. They also say to power rake with a 2 to 3 inch pacing between the fail blades. Every rental store that has one its a 1 and a half in. between blades....thanks

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I've only been dealing with centipede for about two years. I have the guy to use a grass catcher on it, mow it high (3"). Fertilize 2 times a year--May 1 and July 1 with 1/2 lb of Nitrogen/K. A 50lb bag of 15-0-15 has 7.5lb os Nitrogen in it, so it would cover 15K. I also us a 50lb bag of 0-0-60 potash at same time. That 50lb bag has 30lb of potash or an extra 2lb/k.
    I inheired lots and lots of weeds, dollar weed, yellow sedge, green kylinga, dallisgrass, and saw briars. All of these have to be treated with different things. Overall, "Image" takes care of a lot of time on a weak basis.
    If you need some help, just PM me when you get 25 posts.
    Roy

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Here is my experience w/ centipede.

1 pound of nitrogen per 1000 sq foot per year... I would fertilize twice a year w/ 25-0-15.

It needs to be cut as low as possible 2-2.5"... any higher and it will be more prone to fungus.

As far as dethatching... usually we do this in March-April... you can forget power raking... it just won't work w/ southern grasses. It needs to be raked by hand or using a tined thatcher and then bag it up... or cut real low and bag. The thatch is caused by the previous years over watering.

Atrazine should solve most of your weed problems... but it is too hot for any spraying right now.

7. fordnut

fordnut LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the info, it has been very helpful.

Barry