Power seeder - renovator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrblawncare, Feb 28, 2003.

1. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

We our starting shop for a power seeder.......looking for some feed-back on Lesco's renovator used to seed,slice and dethatch. The price of these units is around 3175.00.Have you seen it ? used it ? What do you think of it ? What other ones should we look at ? THANKS,jrb

2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

The Lesco model works well. I have tried different machines from different manufacturers with varying degrees of success.
    Provided I was in the market, I would look at a Ryan Mataway with seed box. I know Bluebird makes a seeder, as does Landscaper Supply. My preference is still the Mataway or Lesco model then the others.

3. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have rented the mataway and did like it.......5 k plus is alot of cake to buy one !!

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have the Jacobsen Aero King 1321, which like the Mataway, is made by Textron. The 2 models are very similar. The biggest difference between the two is that the Jacobsen has larger Honda motor, left and right brakes and the slicing tines and seed discs spaced closer to each other. I am sure the two units are very similar in performance, just more bells and whistles on the Jacobsen. It's truly an awesome unit. Very high seed germination rate. If you truly want it done right, use either one of these two units. One feature I like is that the seed paddle is controlled by the drive tires. By that I mean, when you stop the unit, the seed stops dropping. It was this feature and the 1.5" spacing of the disc that really sold me. I paid extra for the use of the left and right brake (similar to a gear driven mower), but don't really use the feature much. Classen makes a seeder similar to the Mataway. Well good luck in your search!!

MATT

5. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

What about Turfco Power seeder????

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

While the machines that cut a slit and drop seeds into that slit seem to be the best way to plant, they are relatively expensive. The seeders with boxes in front of the knives, where seed is dropped in a line, then cut into soil, are just as good. You may use a little more seed with the second type, because germination rate may be lower, but you will pay out a much lower figure for the machine.

I use a Bluebird overseeder, one of the second types, and I just seed planning on a 65-70% germination rate in overseeding. Don't know what rates are accomplished by the Mataway type machines.

7. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

What about the seedavator made by first products? I know it is very expensive, but has anyone seen one in action? Looks like a very nice machine. Does everything from final grading, to aeration to seeding and when it is finished there is no need to straw the area. Just curious.