Power Seeders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by superbee, Mar 17, 2005.

1. superbee

superbee LawnSite Member

I'm still new at this so bear with me. Tuesday, I power seeded about 20,000 S.F. of lawns. I seeded in two different directions with the slit seeder so as to get an even distribution of seed. While I was working, I was wondering if there were any power seeders on the market that put the seed in the ground differently than cutting slits as It would be a lot more efficient if the lawn could be seeded in one pass. I was using a Bluebird seeder which does a good job but still takes some time to walk each lawn twice. Thanks.

2. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

You could make one pass, but you wouldnt get an even seeding. It seems like a pain, but there is good money in doing slit seeding, so i dont really mind the time it takes for the money made on it. My big complaint is a lawn that has a lot of thatch, the cleanup is the biggest pain.

3. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

We slit seed several of our properties in place of aeration. But we do them in the Fall, which usually gives us upwards of 90%+ return. I have a property now that wants an aeration, but I sold him on the slit seeder idea. Lot more money for the same time as an aeration, plus the results speak for themselves.

4. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

Check out Lesco's Renovator 20. Copy/Paste from Lesco website: The innovative Renovator 20 is really three machines in one - use it as a seeder, slicer and dethatcher on lawns, athletic fields, golf courses and other turf areas. Self-propelled and easy to operate.

8-hp Kawasaki® engine with easy-to-operate, fingertip control of reverse and forward ground speeds up to 2 mph.

Compact, low-profile design with flotation tires provides excellent maneuverability on hills and slopes and makes transportation easy.

Provides improved efficiency by allowing for dethatching and seeding at the same time.

20-inch slicing/seeding width and 35-lb. hopper capacity lets you work with fewer interruptions.

Seed is precisely metered, dropped in front of 40 high-carbon steel blades and swept by two full-width rear finishing brushes to ensure optimum incorporation into the soil.

5. crzymow

from Pa

why not aerate and slit seed? Besides aerating a lawn is as beneficial as thatching a lawn.

6. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Aeration is good, but in a situation of "Renovation" or a really thin lawn, I believe that a slit seeding is more productive. We still aerate every year, but your return is greater with slit-seeding!

7. superbee

superbee LawnSite Member

I found a Lesco hydraulic power seeder for sale locally. The owner said it is four years old and has less than 50 hours on it. It has a Honda engine. He is getting out of the business. He has it advertised for $2000.00 but said he would go as low as $1800.00. Is this a good buy? Thanks.

8. crzymow

from Pa

i agree that if a lawn is thin that slit seeding is better the aerating, but the combination of the two is the best as far as I'm concerned. Compacted soil could be a major factor as to why the lawn is so thin in the first place.