Power seeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frazier, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Frazier

Frazier LawnSite Member

Getting ready to seed our first lawn of the year. Using a slit seeder and some grande #2 fescue seed with triple 12 fertilizer. Has anyone had any experience with the grande #2? The reason we are looking at using it is because the customers yard is heavily shadded by mature trees. They have power seeded with kentucy 31 fescue in the past and it has been meaningless. The grande is supposed to be able to sustain itself in up to 90% shade. What do you all think?
    -wes

2. Green Earth

Green Earth LawnSite Member

I have run into this problem time after time over the years. As long as you are using some type of a shade blend thats all you can do. You will have to use 12-12-12 every other week just to keep it alive. #1 The problem is too much shade, not enough sunlight, #2 Too many trees will not allow enough rain water to get to the grass, #3 Who do you think is going absorb the water and nutrients out of the soil ? The little blade of grass or the big trees ? I'm in Ohio our grasses should be the same as yours. You have 2 choices over seed all the time and fertilize every other week with 12-12-12 or cut some trees down. :)

3. cmoore

cmoore LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I see that both of you live in the same general area/climate as me (NW Ohio).

To make a long story short I am finishing up my new house and need to plant about two acres of new yard. I was hoping to have this professionally done but my budget was blown up building the house. Anyway, what type of grass seed would you recommend I use? The lot has zero trees right now and is flat.
    A few people have told me I will have at least $1500 in grass seed. Is this an accurate estimate for cost? I grew up on a farm and know good seed is expensive, but that shocked me a little.

Thanks for any help.

4. Frazier

Frazier LawnSite Member

No one esle has any input?

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

They're about a grand too high. I'd like to know how you can slit seed in February in Indiana and what results you are expecting?

6. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

With no shade I'd go with something like Finelawn 5GL (or whatever GL they are up to now) or Crossfire. Any turf-type tall fescue should work well. Plantation would be another good choice.

7. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

I will sell you whatever grass seed you want at that price...... :D If you have 2 acres of lawn to sow it is approx. 80,000 square feet. At 8 pounds of TTTF..(Tall turf type Fescue). The average selling price is $1.50 to $1.75 it going to run you around $1000.00 So the $1500 price is not far off....

Now for the shade situation.... You need to look at a Creeping type fecsue. They work very well in shaded areas. Or have a Professional trim the trees to add more light to the turf.......

8. cmoore

cmoore LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Thanks for the input on seed types. I will start checking them out after I move in this weekend.

Right now I have a train wreck happening in my yard. Last fall was very wet, and now the weather here is all goofy and muddy. The rough shape of my pond was finished late last fall and my 1 1/4 acre pond is almost full already. I still have huge mounds of topsoil that need spread out and the final grade needs to be done before I can even think about getting this ready for seed. Hopefully we will have a nice spring and I can knock this out by May.

9. Frazier

Frazier LawnSite Member

By getting ready i meant getting ideas, sorry for the confusion. I plan on slit seeding in mid-late march or early april once the weather starts to turn warm for good. Well this is indiana so that could be june. Anyways, i have been doing some research on the grande vs. the creeping fescues. WHat i am gathering so far is that the creepers would be a better idea due to the fact they can spread to cover bare spots. I know that the lawn is not going to end up like a front yard in a subdivision, and thats what the homeowner is aware of. However i would like to do the best job for them, they are very valued customers. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Wes