Power Source

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Truly Beautiful Lawn Care, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Truly Beautiful Lawn Care

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Went to a customers house to do a repair. One of there zones (5) was not firing. Did some checks and noticed that zone five was fed an external source. Wired zone five to another valve and had flow. Anyone familiar with this technique?
    Also, now zone 5 is leaking by. Any of you have problems with Rain Birds 1' slip joint valves? Sorry I don't have a PN.
    My main concern is that I could not trace the additional power source. It was a single wire that ran in the opposite direction of the main harness going to the controller. Keep in mind also, the valve manifold is on the opposite side of the house! The additional source line seemed to run beneath the slab. The history of the home is that it was a model home.
    When I go back to repair the leak-by (hopefully its just the solenoid), I will look to see if there is an additional wire in the harness.
    I appreciate the help.
    Thanks, Jay

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Pull the bonnet..check for glue in the diaphram & solenoid port. Is the zone
    going downhill? This could be gravity low-drainage,,low drain checks can solve it. Did the zone ever work? You say "external source", huh??? water or
    wire? "Single wire"? Takes two wires to tango...If they tapped into another
    water source..it's a violation of all backflow rules.

3. Truly Beautiful Lawn Care

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. The external source was a single wire. It was a larger size. This is what had me confused. The two rotors leaking streetside are also Rain Birds. I agree that its gravity leakdown. I will clean up the valve and go from there.
    Thanks again,
    Jay

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Got my vote...thanks for the thanks.:waving: