power stroke wont start

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bligh61, Aug 28, 2004.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

i have a 1995 f250 7.3ltr power stroke. last week out of the blue it wouldnt start. right at the end of the day. changed fuel filter. let it cool and it started. then it wouldnt start again,just cranks. any ideas?

2. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Cam Position Sensor, possibly ? I know they go out on the 99 an up.

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

go to ford-trucks.com and read. Really good site. they have a forum just for the 7.3's

Sounds like a cam sensor. The CPS's go alot, the way to figure it out is if the tach doesnt move i think. Go to the site and do a search and it will tell you how to change it. takes a few mins and theres aplace you can get it for 80 bucks instead of 150 that the dealer wants or 300-400 for them to do 10 mins of work. Its a good thing to buy an extra and keep it with you because they go out whenever they want, it takes a 10 mm open end wrench to change it.

4. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

thankyou for the info. sounds like good advice. everyone has said pretty much the same thing!

5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

You can get a CPS from International for around $90.

6. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a frd to me :D

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I've never had a cps go bad on my powerjoke, but I sure had a few problems with glowplugs that would not allow it to start.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

go to www.thedieselstop.com and check there. it's a big Ford diesel forum board site just for Ford diesels of all models and variations and years. From the old 6.9 liter in the early 80's to the brand new 6.0's. very nice and helpful people there.

9. zpoore

zpoore LawnSite Member

well if you get a cummins that will solve the problem. :D

10. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Fixed yet?? any luck?