Power Sweeps

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Comet, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Comet

Comet LawnSite Member

Hi, How many utilize those power sweep attachments?
    also do you find them efficient?
    I seen one at a show but missed the demonstration
    I havnt noticed nor seen anyone using one thus far around here

2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you referring to a 'sweepster' for a skid steer?

3. Comet

Comet LawnSite Member

No I wasn't, I was meaning the attachments that I seen run off gas powered edgers.
    Although now that you asked me, I have an intrest in the large broom attachments for the riders and walk behinds also.

I know there out there for the skid steer loaders, but thats much over my head at this point.

4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Thom... we have one that is about 4 ft. wide and goes on a roto-tiller. I should say the tiller attachment comes off and the broom goes on. This takes only a few minutes to do. We really like this unit... it was very helpful with spring cleanups and is now used in the landscape division for cleaning up the mess on the road etc.

5. Comet

Comet LawnSite Member

Kris, I just looked in my original cadalog from when I purchased some mowers few years back and I see i marked off with some quoted prices at the time for an attachment like that. It was the Rotary broom 47" with 22" diameter polypropylene wafer type brush selling for $2100
    I had put it on the back burner at the time. Possibly Ill relook into it again, Thanks

When you say used it for spring clean ups are you refering to lot cleaning of dirt/sand debri left over from winter?
    Some other book shows or idicates one dethatching <grooming> a lawn..
    Have you used it like such?

Just curious

6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Thom... yes i used it for de-thatching and clean up of winter sand that was on the grass... this was on commercial prop. ... it did a great job. It cleans it up with ease and quickness....you have to be careful not to use it on areas where the grass is very thin because it takes the grass right off.... The only problem that it was a very, very, dusty job...next season I will work some night shifts.
    We feel it has already paid for itself with time saved this spring.

7. Comet

Comet LawnSite Member

OK thanks kris,
    yes I can just imagine what it can do to weak grass
    Ill look into one possibly

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Just curious, I checked out servicemagic.com, seems like a good idea. I'm in SIMA so I figured that out quick :) But what blue book are you referring to?

Thanks!

9. Comet

Comet LawnSite Member

Hi Guido,
    Service Magic has been pretty good so far, I picked up some work from it. One small retaining wall job opened the door to a pool patio and block wall retaing wall. You receive a fax/email about the job to look at the details,location etc.. if your intrested you accept it and then are able to obtain their personel info to contact them.Same time there forwarded your company profile st
    You pay a small referal fee for a job if you accept it, I dont accept them all. I pick and choose what ever comes in.
    The blue book is the Building and Construction book thats sent out each year.
    The blue book works the same way. Its an online networking system to bid on upcoming projects.
    I receive a fax then usually try to accept the projects to bid on.
    They most times fedex plans, (comm/industrial work)

Did you get to go to denver?

10. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Thom, I didn't make it to Denver this year, but I've already made plans for St. Louis next year and east coast the year after that. We'll probobly meet at one sooner or later! And actually on that note, we're meeting up in CT (Southington) on July 13th. I don't know what kind of drive it is for you, but your definetly welcome to come, and so is everyone else in the area. There will be a few SIMA guys there and a few guys from lawnsite and plowsite. It should be a good time.