Power Tan 420CT

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by jefftb, Oct 13, 2008.

1. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone here have one or run a Case 420CT for very long? I'm interested in possibly picking one up before year end. I'm going to run one for about a month starting on Wednesday it looks like so I'll know how it works but am interested in longview opinions.

I've compared it to a TAK TL130 with the TAK coming out ahead in the numbers department but I do not think much of their dealer locally from a support category.

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the Takeuchi.

Uh-oh spaghetti-oh's, here comes KSSS.

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would be sure to get a Series 3 machine. They are substantially more powerful in the Series 3 dress. The older machines were 56 hp, the series 3 is like 74 hp. If you want a machine that is more powerful the 440CT in Series 3 matches up well with the TL140 but is much more compact. I have never ran a 420, but the 440 CT sells well here and those I have run and they are a horse.

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I put 6 hours on a series two and the visibility of the cutting edge was great.. The rear visibility wasnt that great, but who makes a skid with great visibility?, The cab was kind of narrow, but it was really fast, the only thing that kept getting on my nerves was the lack of power... I am sure I would like the 3 series even more... I have never been on a tak so I have no clue how they compare...

5. bobcat_ron

Takeuchi would still be my choice.

Nice big open cab. :laugh:
    Compared to the itty bitty cab on the Case.

Even if this dude was comparing a Cat CTL to a Takeuchi, I'd still vote for the takeuchi.

6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

This is totally off subject but I have a question...

Ron if you like Tak so much why didnt you buy a tak instead of a cat?

7. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

Never tried to get my big body in a CAT but I've run the Komatsu, ran a TAK 150 briefly, Bobcat T140 and T300, and Deere 332. The deere was horrible from an in-out standpoint-it was not so bad once you got in it but holy crap batman-you needed to be a chinese contortionist or Yoga master to get through the door.

The TAK was huge and I have sat in the Series 3 Case on the dealer lot-it was quite easy to get into.

BTW-I'm 6'4"+ and 270.

8. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

So when are you going to trade that little kitty cat in for a red and gray monster?!

I've been on a takeuchi 130, 140 and spent many many hours in our 150.

Our takeuch as almost 1200 hours on it and the only two problems we had with it was the air condition stopped and the fuse for a gages kept blowing but the dealer fixed under warranty.
    Great machines and The New TL250 machine is one hell of machine too, Next time i go to the dealer I'll get some pictures and a video of it in action.... Yes they have to let me play in the dirt pile eveytime a go there!

9. bobcat_ron

Not too great of a dealer support for the Takeuchi line, it's the kind of dealership that works out of mouldy old mobile trailers with a small shop.
    And I wanted a suspended ride, rigid is too rough. I would gladly entertain myself with a new 279C, but with narrow tracks.

10. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

Only look at A 420 if it is a series 3 machine, the previous 420 had a junk engine, If your going with Case I would look at the 440. I like the Tak's myself but, I did demo a 440 and it seamed like A good machine