1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Power-Trac vs hills

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Acute Cut, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, so after a weeks in depth research i have pretty much decided to go with a power trac for my landscape division next year. But, i was just reading about skid steers (via search) and read that one guy hated his bobcat because it always got stuck and was horrible on hills. Well, i live in Washington state and my particular area is FULL of hills and wet areas. How does the power trac handle those situations?
    FYI-The fact that the dingos get stuck easily was the deciding factor to buy the power track vs a mini skid steer. Thanks for the help guys.
  2. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

no one has any input on how a power trac handles in wet ground or on hilly terrain? wow. ok, how about this, is power trac only an east coast thing, or do they sell stuff out west here? I just thought of that today while talking to Scag48 about mowers and thier distribution areas. Just curious if anyone knows anything......
  3. Lance Takara

Lance Takara LawnSite Member

Acute cut,

Power trac is great in wet areas and in hilly areas. You will barely miss a beat. In fact it will go in hilly areas that you would not dare take any of the other machines or even think about it. It will even go on slopes that will make you pee in your pants and it will still not flip over.

Anyway, you are asking this question in the wrong place. Check out www.tractorbynet.com. There is a whole discussion section for Power trac.

Basically, it is a great machine for its intended purpose. Highly maneuverable, compact, stable, quick changing attachments, light weight (practically leaves no mark on surface it travels over), fast travel speed. I probably left some items out. Check out the site. There are many knowledgeable people there. If you still have any other questions, i'll do my best to answer them.

4. Releaf Landscapes

Releaf Landscapes LawnSite Member

Check out the Mertz Boxer.

5. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

The Boxer looks, and judging by the specs, is a more capable than the Dingo. Attachments also look very heavy duty.
    Ideally, one of these along with a larger machine would be the
    ticket. My recent test of an RC30 OW3,200 LBS (47" WIde)
    revealed to me that the small machines like the Dingo and Boxer are very job specific. Yes you can do alot of work in small places. They do have their place, but the machines targeting the middle weight range. 2700-4,000 lbs are more cappable and faster. I really wanted a small machine, but now the ASV-RC30 seems the right fit, unless I go with the more capable RC-50.
    Power-Trac has no local dealer support and that will keep me
    away from those machines.